Notes from Communications Workgroup
Date: August 31, 2010
Time: 1 - 2pm EST
Attendees:
Rich Elmore, Jason Siegel, Janet Campbell, Karen Donovan, John Blair, III, Brian Ahier, Michele Darnell, Didi Davis, David Kibbe, John Moehrke, Brian Behlendorf, Arien Malec, Uvinie Hettiaratchy, Caitlin Ryan

Actions from this Week



#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
16
8/31/10
Distinguish difference between NHIN Exchange, NHIN Connect, and NHIN Direct in the NHIN Direct Overview 2.0.
Open
Janet Campbell
9/7/10
17
8/31/10
Create one slide of the spec and how it all fits together.
Open
Team
9/7/10
18
8/31/10
Decide offline how to divide between RECs and individual providers.
Open
David Kibbe and Brian Ahier
9/7/10
19
8/31/10
Finalize small sized deck available for consumption before next Tuesday, by boiling down decks to a couple slides each.
Open
Brian Ahier, David Kibbe, Michele Darnell, Rich Elmore
9/7/10
20
8/31/10
Create format for one-page fact sheet.
Open
Uvinie Hettiaratchy and Caitlin Ryan
9/1/10
21
8/31/10
Create first draft of one-page fact sheet.
Open
Brian Ahier, David Kibbe, Michele Darnell, Rich Elmore
9/7/10


Actions from last Week


#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
9
8/24/10
Tap into own networks to see what reservations vendors have about NHIN Direct.
Feedback to Michele Darnell
WG
8/30/10
10
8/24/10
Communicate with Implementation Geographies WG and pilot projects.
Complete
Rich
8/25/10
11
8/24/10
Brainstorm new names for NHIN Direct - please send suggested names to Rich
Underway
WG
8/30/10
12
8/24/10
Look at NHIN Direct - Communications Overview and send comments to Rich
Underway
WG
8/30/10
13
8/24/10
Finalize messages for key segments, incorporating feedback from today's discussion; create Powerpoint slides mapping out communications plan to each segment.
Underway
Ahier - HIE/StatesKibbe - Health Sytems & Individual ProvidersDarnell - HIT Vendors
8/30/10
14
8/24/10
Review Communication Channels. Determine priorities for first phase of communications and suggestions for vehicles of communication targeting each group.
Open
WG
8/30/10
15
8/24/10
Create "What is NHIN Direct" messaging across all stakeholders & ppt
Underway
Rich Elmore
8/30/10


Agenda

  1. Review interdependencies with other workgroups
  2. Review progress of the Communication Priorities
  3. Decide on next communication priorities


Notes
Rich Elmore

· Made progress getting information out there for key messaging priorities.
· Thanks to David, Brian, and Michele for the PPT presentations they created.
· In this meeting, wants to get impressions from WG members.
· Asked about interdependencies or needs they might have from other WGs.

Janet Campbell
· Documentation and Testing WG created a link for one document called “for further reading” to encompass all documentation and communications materials.
· -->The Communications WG and Documentation and Testing WG can plan to link their materials on the wiki.

Michele Darnell
· Asked question about vendor messaging: Rich had sent info over around what vendors need to do to get started and what the reference implementation looks like.
· Thinks the “out of the box” messaging (what resources are needed and how do vendors get started) section within vendor needs help from Documentation and Testing WG and Reference Implementation WG.
· Need to make sure encompasses all the right points.

Rich Elmore
· A number of documents will need expert review, this is one of them.
· Documentation WG is key WG in that regard.
· Asked Janet if she had suggestions for approaching Documentation and Testing WG in an orderly fashion.

Janet Campbell
· Suggested identifying the best resource for each interview and then sitting down and interviewing them on the material.

Uvinie Hettiaratchy
· Haven’t had a formal review process on this team.
· Janet has the most experience.

Rich Elmore
· Can proceed based on Janet’s suggestion to find the right resources and then interview them.
· -->Individuals requiring expert review of their communications materials can reach out to Rich, Uvinie, or other team leads to identify the right resources.
· Any other cross-team dependencies?

Arien Malec
· Is someone from Implementation Geographies on this call?

Brian Ahier
· Is on Implementation Geographies but has not been extremely active.
· Has a call today to start to ramp up efforts to participate in implementation geographies.
· He and John Hall might become a lot more active in the WG as a result.
· Their organization has submitted a plan to ONC.

Rich Elmore
· At the last Implementation Geographies meeting Rich asked what the WG needed in the way of communication priorities.

Didi Davis
· Is in the Implementation Geographies WG.

John Blair
· Not actually in the WG but can carry messages between.

Karen Donovan
· Can also convey messages and is in Implementation Geographies WG.

Rich Elmore
· Several cross-WG needs came out of the last Implementation Geographies meeting:
o David Kibbe asked about pilots and on an ongoing basis having conversations with real doctors.
o Doug Arnold was looking for Implementation Geographies group to develop paragraphs on use cases for each pilot. Planned to look at pilots and see which pilots are doing which use cases.
o General agreement that info was need for the recruiting process (marketing materials already underway in Communications WG).
o Emphasis on how to practically get a project started now, and building momentum later.
o Paul Tuten emphasized the need for communications to HIT vendors in the provider community, above states, because he thought that was most necessary to support the pilots.


Round the Room: General commentary on how key messages are organized, structured, and how they relate,

Jason Siegel
· All very good.
· Still confused about distinction between Connect, Exchange, Direct.
· Needs diagrammatic distinction and an explanation of when to use one and not the other.
Question
· Do you also envision examples for under each of the three?
Jason Siegel
· Yes, if it helps.
Rich Elmore
· So Janet, we may need to coordinate on this.
· Bulleted version of what is in the Overview.
· Implications for 2.0 of the Overview in pointing to differences between the three different systems.
Janet Campbell
· Good point.
Rich Elmore
-->Will take as a follow-up.
Janet Campbell
· Format-wise, thinks there should be a separate discussion tab for each artifact.
· Didn’t know the best way to submit comments for each.
· Suggests one-pagers, posters, brochures.
Rich Elmore
· To recap, Janet is asking for a mechanism for giving feedback on each of the documents and a brochure-like version of messaging for each?
Janet Campbell
· Yes, looking at each message to decide if it could be more bite-sized.
Karen Donovan
· Liked previous comment about one-pager or Q&A draft that people can look at and digest quickly.
John Blair
· No other comments.
· Examples of specific type of transactions would be useful.
Brian Ahier
· Agrees about bite-sized messaging but the PowerPoint decks are all still a bit too long and need to be slimmed down.
· The “what is NHIN Direct?” was a great presentation that Arien gave, but it took time to get through all the slides and explain everything.
· Would be helpful to have a presentation for each (4) that would stand alone, and then anyone would be able to present to folks whether vendors/states/providers then also have a separate 2-3 slide deck that is incorporated into other presentations.
· For example, someone could do 3-5 min out of their talk to dedicate to NHIN Direct.
· Interested in developing 2 categories of presentation material.
· When vendors speak to health systems they could use 2-3 of our slides.
Michele Darnell
· David Kibbe’s email comment about consistency stood out to her.
· Looking at all the PPTs, WG needs to be consistent in the messaging and the format of messaging.
· Agree with Brian’s comment about bite sized messages.
· From the vendor side, need to answer what is NHIN Direct, how does it compare to other NHIN programs or other systems in general?

Didi Davis
· Seconds the idea of a one-pager.
· Likes how on the ONC website (i.e. healthit.hhs.gov) everything is linked, cross-linked, double cross-linked.
· Users are always able to connect the dots.
· Envisions a PDF with hyperlinks.
· Wants to shorten the messages—the physician message is nice, short and sweet. It is very to the point, in both pictures and wording.
· As pilots start to progress, how will they tell that message? What can they use?
· Work with Implementation Geographies to hone in on this message.
Brian Behlendorf
· No comment.
John Moerhke
· No comment.
Arien Malec
· Currently assembling a presentation for ONC State HIE team by assembling bits and pieces out of old presentations.
· Is missing a succinct overview of what NHIN Direct is.
· Has the abstract model.
· Has the diagram that Rich put together.
· Would be useful to have a slightly more technically oriented diagram.
· Problem: gets complicated really fast.
· -->Would love to have one slide of the spec and how it all fits together.
Brian Ahier
· There was a slide that was originally included that was replaced by a new picture slide.
· Came from Doug’s presentation to HIT Policy Committee.
Janet Campbell
· There’s the slide that looks like that, but with protocol names removed.
Arien Malec
· The high-level abstract model with prettier colors?
· He knows where to find it.
· Wants to explain how it all works, but maybe he just shouldn’t.

Brian Ahier
· Presented slide: NHIN Direct_state_recmessage (LINK)
· Probably still too much info, some is repeated from other slides.
· Could stand on its own as a presentation but probably needs to be even more slimmed down
· Included some implications of NHIN Direct because he had seen this in other presentations about NHIN Direct.
· Included a call to action.
· Basic message to get through to them is that NHIN Direct does not interfere with or replace their current planning efforts and does not create a detriment to state’s HIE planning. Instead, NHIN Direct can augment their planning efforts.
· Because the federal requirement in the budgeting for State level HIE planning is that over 30% of funds are used for planning inter-state exchange, he thinks NHIN Direct has the potential to help the states meet that number. It’s tricky to reach 30%, even for states with robust inter-state exchange.
· As you walk through the slides you see implications for state HIEs and implications for RECs, which he finds to be very similar to the implications for physicians.
· Asked the group if specific messaging for RECs combined with State HIEs is necessary, or if they could have messaging for physicians and critical access hospitals be included with messaging for RECs.

Round the Room: Comments on slides for State HIEs/RECs.
Janet Campbell
· Agrees slides are verbose, but likes the messaging.
· Important: how to impact messages already in place.
· Call to action is great; they’ll want to know what to do next.
· For any future PPTs, dislikes the “services, strategies, fabric” graphic.
Karen Donovan
· Likes that moving through the slides there is a message imploring everyone to join.
· Do we need different messages for RECs? Doesn’t think so.
Brian Ahier
· Was trying to develop messaging around State level HIE and RECs, but finding the messages were distinctly different.
· Combining/unifying the two messages proved difficult.
· Was borrowing thinking from messaging being done to physicians because RECs will primarily be helping physicians and critical access hospitals.
· Important to have messaging directed to RECs, but what does WG think about having two different groups, States and RECs?
Karen Donovan
· Communications WG previously narrowed stakeholder groups down to 3 groups.
· If we have a number of different groups for the main source of general information that would be OK.
· But for other channels of communication, 3 groups work best.
John Blair
· Believes shifting from provider to physician makes sense.
· For ongoing regional projects it is key to stress that NHIN Direct won’t disintermediate or displace current efforts. NHIN Direct is additive.
Michele Darnell
· Great start.
· Clarifying the call to action: including NHIN Direct in your planning means getting it in your requirements to vendors.
· Having been on the vendor side before, it needs to be a requirement to get vendors to take action.
· WG might want to think about making that a stronger statement.
Didi Davis
· Don’t address use cases yet in messaging.
· Would be interested in doing a cross walk that includes some of the MU objectives, relating back to user stories.
· With doing that, could interject a picture showing the workflow.
· Recommends using the word “actors” in identifying the edge points and stakeholders.
Brian Behlendorf
· No comment.
John Moerhke
· No comment.
David Kibbe
· All good work.
· But felt the PPTs were trying to describe different parts of the elephant to different blind men.
· NHIN Direct is one thing, so WG should be trying to consolidate the benefits and the calls to action and description of NHIN Direct into 4-5 slides that would be used across constituencies.
· Then WG can confine the particular benefits to 1-2 slides each, to makeup a single slide deck.
· Need consistency around what NHIN Direct is, what are its benefits, what are its general features and functions, and then branch off into the different segment area implications.
· Great ideas now but not the consistency we need.
· Also feels need for professional communications input.
· Someone who is a professional in communications/marketing could look at the slides and easily pick out a basic set of 4 slides (not including the title) that would message NHIN Direct to anyone interested in knowing about it. Then they’d create an additional set of slides to address particular issues with each group.
Rich Elmore
· Good feedback.
· Framed up a specific approach to some general comments made before David joined the call.
· In sync with earlier sentiments.
Jason S
· Would not assume everyone knows what all the abbreviations mean.
· Slide decks will not only be aimed at technical people. Will go up to CEOs who do not think this way, to get them interested, get them to know what NHIN Direct is and where to place it. If confused about the intent of the slide deck, they will just ignore it.
· Partially agrees with Kibbe. One should be able to take all the slide decks and put them in one single deck and have a flow to them.
· Right now the slides look like a compilation of sci-fi short stories.
· Again, likes the call to action.
· Finds reading all the slides helpful to know what to tell his CEO why their organization should pay attention to NHIN Direct.
· But much of the message is explicit. Details are implied but not described.
· What is the NHIN Direct project?
· Wants to hear specifically what NHIN Direct is.
· Call to action should tell exactly what to do.
· Again, “spread the word” is good, but what is the word being spread?
· All messages should be more specific in details.
David Kibbe
· Also finding it is difficult to explain NHIN Direct.
· Suggestion for the image on the slide of two people communicating via the cloud: Just underneath them could add Cynthiastone@nhin.familypractice.org
· and bsmith@nhin.coastalservicesinc.com.
· Then it would immediately help people understand that NHIN Direct address is just like an email address, but with “nhin” in the string.

Jason Siegel
· Agrees, but wants more: when will it happen? Who is responsible for the server? Talking to the CEO, what does that mean to “put NHIN Direct in our repertoire?”
David Kibbe
· Right, HISP manages the domains of the addressees in the same way that your internet service provider or domain does it for you know.
· It can be complicated to explain how it works because most people don’t understand how the internet works for email.
· WG should be wary of getting into too much jargon.
Arien Malec
· Completely agrees with consolidating.
· When he does presentations for the states, tries to get their concerns on the table and out front as soon as possible.
· One major concern that States often have is competition from IDNs.
· Created a one-page “threats/opportunities and what you can do” slide.
· Each slide should understand the common objections by each segment.
· What’s in it for me if I commit precious development resources to the HIT vendors?
· Doesn’t this help my IDNs in the area peel away from my organization?
· Should address these concerns front and center in the slide, because they are going to come up anyway.
Brian Ahier
· Wants more feedback on separating States/RECs.
Arien Malec
· That’s really confusing because no two are alike, though they think they are.
· No two are alike in how they’ve aligned or misaligned the SDE and REC or the SDE, REC, Beacon if they have all three.
· Would vote for 2 separate presentations.
· REC better aligns with provider presentation.
· Most RECs care most about having providers meet MU.
Brian Ahier
· Agrees on a separate stakeholder group for RECs.
· Should WG fold RECs into individual provider slides? Or making it its own category?
Jason Siegel
· What is a REC?
Arien Malec
· Regional Extension Center, entity that receives federal funding to deploy EHRs and help physicians meet MU.
Brian Ahier
· They help physicians and critical access hospitals.
Janet Campbell
Recommends they may want to see presentations.
Rich Elmore
àBrian and David can decide where to divide the two. Offline.

Meeting Takeaways/Next Steps

Rich Elmore
· All in WG have our work cut out for us.
· Action items for next week:
o Moving ahead, need to be able to create tools that are useable for Imp Geographies.
o So far, 4 distinct threads of messaging:
1 is general and 3 are specific.
o Need consistency in terms of formatting and framing, succinct messaging.
o Now trying to pull together the distilled down deck in each of those four areas.
o Want to have basic raw material for anyone to use.
o -->Finalize small sized deck available for consumption before next Tuesday.
· Are the three leaders of the segment messages willing to work on a one-page fact sheet?
o Brian: yes.
o Michele: OK.
o David: concerned about approaching hurricane but will try to complete.
o -->Uvinie, Caitlin, Rich to come up with format for one-pager.
o -->Brian, Michele, David should plan to boil down decks to a couple slides each.

Brian Ahier
· Wants info from Arien about information on State HIEs.

Arien Malec
· Just sent the information.

Rich Elmore
· Goals for next week: final draft of deck and first draft of the fact sheet.