Notes from the Communications WG
Date: September 21, 2010
Time: 1:00 - 1:20pm EST
Attendees:
Brian Ahier, Noam Arzt, Rich Elmore, Uvinie Hettiaratchy, Caitlin Ryan


Actions


Actions for This Week



#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
27
09/21/10
Send consolidated Overview slide to WG members.
Open
Brian Ahier
09/28/10
28
09/21/10
Look over newest version of Overview presentation (found in Agenda, below).
Open
All WG members
09/28/10
29
09/21/10
Develop “threats” content for key messaging slides, upload to wiki.
Open
David Kibbe, Michele Darnell, Brian Ahier
09/28/10
30
09/21/10
Ask David Kibbe and Michele Darnell to develop “threats” content for key messaging slides, upload to wiki.
Closed
Rich Elmore
09/22/10
31
09/21/10
Forward Noam Arzt’s Overview presentation comments to Communications WG via Google Group.
Closed
Caitlin Ryan
09/22/10

Actions from Last Week (2010-09-07)


#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
22
09/07/10
Bring consent question back to Documentation and Testing WG to agree on language around consent for NHIN Direct Overview document and all Communications WG documents.
Open
Janet Campbell, Rich Elmore
09/14/10
23
09/07/10
Simplify “What is NHIN Direct?” presentation, incorporating feedback from 09/07/10 WG meeting.
Open
Rich Elmore
09/14/10
24
09/07/10
Edit “Physicians” presentation, incorporating feedback from 09/07/10 WG meeting.
Open
David Kibbe
09/14/10
25
09/07/10
Finalize “Vendors” presentation for discussion at 09/14/10 WG meeting.
Open
Michele Darnell
09/14/10
26
09/07/10
Read through one-pager “Overview” document.
Open
Team
09/10/10

Agenda

1) Workgroup Update
a. Overview presented at Federal HIT Workgroup meeting
b. Project Name
c. Goals

2) Finalizing the segment messaging - Answers to objections & any other comments
a. Vendors
b. Providers and Health Systems
c. State/HIE's

Brian Ahier
  • Is attending Iowa NHIN meeting next week, so is in the process of creating a slide to explain the Direct project.
  • Will send finished slide to WG members.
Rich Elmore
  • Encouraged WG members to take a look at updated Direct Overview presentation (link in Agenda).
Brian Ahier
  • Doug Fridsma incorporated some of the Overview slides into his presentation for the ONC HIT Standards Committee.
  • Trying to create one summarizing slide out of all the Overview slides.
    • Might use the slide(s) that Doug used for HIT Standards Committee meeting.
    • Needs something the audience can look at while he talks about the Direct project.
Rich Elmore
  • Arien Malec requested the following changes to all of the key messages slides:
    • Add an explicit section listing the common objections by section, and the responses to those objections.
    • Stressing “value for effort” in developing key messages for sections.
Uvinie Hettiaratchy
  • Suggested framing “objections” content as “strengths, threats, opportunities.”
  • Would be helpful to reach out to whoever created the original key messaging slides to draft some material.
Rich Elmore
  • Will ask David Kibbe and Michele Darnell to develop “threats/objections” as part of key messaging slides and upload to the wiki.
Rich Elmore
  • Arien Malec’s comments on Health Systems presentation:
    • Comment that “owned practices” should be changed. “Employed” is an option.
    • Can more explicitly call out how Direct will assist with meeting MU criteria.
    • NHIN Direct helps meet MU by enabling direct communication with labs, radiology, and discharge from care.
    • Need to be clearer about what health systems would actually be able to do using Direct, and what Direct doesn’t’ solve.
    • Add threats to Health Systems presentation.
  • Comments on Providers presentation:
    • Again, can call out how Direct assists with meeting MU.
    • Add common objections: value for effort.
    • Is this worth paying attention to right now? Will the Direct project be sustainable over time?
    • Trying to get at some of the common questions, objections.
  • Comments on Vendors presentation:
    • Change to “over 70 organizations,” not 200. There are nearly 200 individuals involved, but not organizations.
    • Common objections:
    • value for effort in the face of other priorities,
    • why should they pay attention to Direct?
    • is this somehow commoditizing a form of exchange they have already invested in?
  • For next week: shifting from creating the message to doing something with the message.

Noam Arzt
  • Submitted his comments about the Overview presentation via the Google Group.

Caitlin Ryan
  • Will forward comments to Communications WG Google Group.