Notes from the Communications WG
Date: October 5, 2010
Time: 1:00pm - 2:00pm EST
Attendees:
Brian Ahier, John Blair, Janet Campbell, Karen Donovan, Richard Elmore, Jason Siegel, Arien Malec, Uvinie Hettiaratchy, Caitlin Ryan

Actions

Actions for This Week

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
37
10/5/10
Will reach out about participating as part of a featuerette at the Connect-a-thon.
Open
Janet Campbell
10/12/10
38
10/5/10
Add communications resources to the Communications Launch table.
Ongoing
WG members
Ongoing

Actions from Last Week

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
32
9/28/10
Look over Direct Project Overview Presentation, send comments to Rich Elmore.
Open
All WG members
10/5/10
33
9/28/10
Add ideas, comments to Rebranding wiki page.
Open
All WG members
10/5/10
34
9/28/10
Look at questions posted by Janet Campbell on Rebranding page about which elements to keep in the name, which to lose.
Open
All WG member
10/5/10
35
9/28/10
Contact HIMSS to see if it is still possible to make a presentation.
Open
Arien Malec/Rich Elmore
10/5/10
36
9/28/10
Ask Pam Matthews if there will be an HIE day at this year’s HIMSS.
Open
Noam Arzt
10/5/10

Agenda

  1. Rebranding
  2. Communications / Education

Notes


Arien Malec
  • Updated the WG on the renaming of NHIN.
  • Ideas for the new name will be announced at the IG meeting later in the day (October 5, 2010).
  • Asked Janet to give an update on the Abstract Model.
  • There are a lot of confused people out there, so this WG is vitally important.
  • Recently has found that even the people most in the know are confused about things like MU, certificate, Direct, Connect, Exchange.

Janet Campbell
  • Put together a group to look at the Abstract Model from the Overview document.
  • Originally the project drew out the technical needs, creating the concept of a HISP.
  • A HISP embodies services that may be encompassed by the sender but don’t have to be.
  • Problem arose when assigning pictures to elements of the Abstract Model, because the pictures might mistakenly represent how Direct works.
  • The model images made the Abstract Model less abstract.
  • In reviewing the Abstract Model, the group simplified the images to show a sender pushing a message to a receiver, where there may or may not be a HISP in the center that may or may not provide functions.
  • The group hopes to have this new model ready to share by next week, reflecting the different situations that arise when different deployment models are used.

Arien Malec
  • People appreciate hearing about encryption and signing measure of the SMTP arc.
  • It is important to have one picture showing that a sender constructs a message in a way that only the authorized delegated receiver can see.

Janet Campbell
  • Asked if he meant the lock box picture.

Arien Malec
  • Yes.
  • Sometimes the nature of encryption is hard to visualize.

Rich Elmore
  • Would be helpful to get Janet Campbell’s feedback on the Overview presentation, as the Abstract Model is finalized.
  • Asked Arien Malec for further guidance on renaming Direct now that NHIN renaming is underway.

Arien Malec
  • Thinks it will take six months for NHIN to get a new name.
  • Wants to convey an identity separate from but congruent to NHIN.
  • People will use specifications outside of NHIN governance, but some will use within NHIN governance.

Rich Elmore
  • In this meeting, the WG will try to narrow down the list.
  • Directed WG members to Rebranding to see the list of names.
  • The next step will be agreeing how to decide a final name.
Discussion on Rebranding (pending review)
Proposed next item: talking about a process for getting to a final name.
Proposed talking about the Communications Launch page as the next order of business.
  • Last week WG had a good discussion about what that meant.
  • Decided to focus on education, and to tie into particular upcoming events.
  • Asked WG to look at the page, where he added feedback from last week to the top of the page.
  • Four Steps:
  • 1) The rebranding / renaming of the Direct Project (November?)
  • 2) The completion of (late 2010 or early 2011)
  • the reference implementation
  • best practices in support of the pilots
  • implementation geographies plan
  • and perhaps some early results from a pilot
  • 3) HIMSS (February 20-24, 2011)
  • 4) Completion of the pilots and general launch.

Round the Room: Thoughts on Communications Launch
Jason Siegel
  • IHE Connect-a-thon happens before the HIMSS interoperability.
  • Feels the relationship between IHE Connect and NHIN Direct is confusing.
  • Hopes this is a topic of discussion.
Rich Elmore
  • Will make sure that is part of a HIMSS related event.
Arien Malec
  • Offered to address concerns appropriately.
  • Conflicts between MU and IHE.
Jason Siegel
  • Comes up with public health.
  • Overall, feels keeping marketing small at first is a good idea.
Janet Campbell
  • HIMSS approach is good.
  • It is too late to do anything with the Connect-a-thon officially, but one year they had a featurette or showcase within a showcase.
  • Are we planning for anything else within HIMSS? Who could set that up?
Arien Malec
  • Hopes to provide a “State of the Project” update, because the Direct Project was basically launched there last year.
Karen Donovan
  • Felt the communications plan was both comprehensive and focused.
John Blair
  • There has been some effort to try to get Direct up for presentation at HIMSS.
Arien Malec
  • First, trying to communicate internal to ONC.
  • Appreciates work John Blair did.
John Blair
  • Seconded doing a presentation at HIMSS.
Brian Ahier
  • Liked the way the plan is laid out.
  • Thinks there are two big media events: Rebranding (big splash) and then a series of narrative completion dates leading up to HIMSS.

Rich Elmore
  • Asked about Janet’s comment on the interoperability showcase.
  • Reference implementation allows for XDR-type protocol. Is there an opportunity to bring it in as a foundation for enabling the IHE?

Janet Campbell
  • Understands that generally at the connectability showcase, they are displaying the results of tests established way in the past, and then proven at the Connect-a-thon.
  • Direct Project can’t get in at the beginning because it is not straight XDR.
  • Direct cannot yet be measured at the level they are used to at the Connect-a-thon.
  • Thinks there are other avenues for demonstrating projects.
  • Will reach out about this.

Rich Elmore
  • We need to get this message out, get support from a lot more people.
  • Let’s start with this Communications WG.
  • Asked WG members to please see what their organizations might be able to contribute, in terms of communication vehicles.
  • Would be helpful to identify those opportunities in the Communications Launch table.

Brian Ahier
  • Has discussed the Direct Project with editors of health IT publications.
  • Will be able to get some stories.
  • Might be a good idea to actually have a press release.

Arien Malec
  • The Direct Project has limited ability to do a press release.
  • The two media outlets he would choose would be:
  • O’Reilly radar blog post
  • And TCHB (??).
  • They have the most readership and weight.

Brian Ahier
  • Hasn’t heard specifically about the healthcare blog from David Kibbe.

Rich Elmore
  • David Kibbe and Rich Elmore were going to do a joint post.

Jason Siegel
  • Anna (?) sends out blast emails about public health and would be a great resource.

Arien Malec
  • HIT Talk.

Brian Ahier
  • When the word gets out, everyone will pick this up.

Jason Siegel
  • Even ZDnet is talking about NHIN Direct.

Rich Elmore
  • Please add all your resources to the page.

Janet Campbell
  • Keith Boone and John Moehrke have good contacts.

Rich Elmore
  • You all have some great contacts. Let’s try to build up our network for later communications.