Notes from the Documentation and Testing WG
Date: October 6, 2010
Time: 2:00pm - 3:00pm EST
Attendees: Nageshwara (Dragon) Bashyam, Tony Calice, Janet Campbell, Andy Oram, Will Ross, John Williams, Karen Witting, Arien Malec, Caitlin Ryan

Actions

Actions for This Week


#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
81
10/6/10
Update diagrams in Deployment Models.
Open
Janet Campbell
10/13/10
82
10/6/10
Add name as editor to Deployment Models on the Documentation Priorities table if interested in editing.
Open
Interested WG members
10/13/10
83
10/6/10
Schedule a meeting around October 13-15 to discuss discrepancies between Deployment Models and XD*.
Open
XD* and John M
10/15/10
84
10/6/10
Will send his questions to Arien Malec, and he will forward on to the people who can answer.
Will also post questions to a wiki page.
Open
Tony Calice
10/13/10
85
10/6/10
Meeting on Friday to review that document hopefully for the last time.
Open
Overview Document reviewers
10/8/10
86
10/6/10
Create “Implementation FAQ Input Drop-box” page on the wiki.
Open
Dragon Bashyam
10/13/10
87
10/6/10
Blog about “Implementation FAQ Input Drop-box” page.
Open
Arien Malec
10/13/10

Actions from Last Week


#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
64
9/29/10
Edit Deployment Models document.
Ongoing
Janet Campbell, David Tao (absent0, Noam Arzt
10/6/10
65
9/29/10
Grow Content Security for Simple Health Transport Spec.
No progress
Arien Malec
10/6/10
66
9/29/10
Add Documentation Priorities list to Doc/Testing WG main page.
Open
Janet Campbell
10/6/10
67
9/29/10
Add Programmer’s Introduction to documentation Priorities list
Closed
Janet Campbell
9/30/10
68
9/29/10
Begin to work on Programmer’s Introduction.
Ongoing
Dragon Bashyam, Andy Oram
10/6/10
69
9/29/10
Create outline of a documentation map.
Open
Andy Oram
10/6/10
70
9/29/10
Deploy CSharp API documentation
Open (?)
Arien Malec
10/6/10
71
9/29/10
Assist Sean Nolan and Claudio Sanchez with APIs.
Open
Arien Malec, Tony Calice
10/6/10
72
9/29/10
Change name of XDD Spec to XD* Conversion Specification, as a working title.
Closed
WG
10/6/10
73
9/29/10
Meet to discuss changes to the Abstract Model (Thursday (9/30), 3:00pm EST).
Closed
Interested WG members
10/6/10
74
9/29/10
Change all “NHIN Direct” references to “Direct Project.”
Ongoing
Janet Campbell
10/6/10
75
9/29/10
Work on some of the other questions raised after the Call for Consensus for the Policy Questions for Implementations document.
Open
Janet Campbell
10/6/10
76
9/29/10
Will incorporate comments in the Direct Security Overview after them receiving them from the Security and Trust WG.
Closed, Pending WG review
Dragon Bashyam
10/6/10
77
9/29/10
Begin work on Testing Guide, in collaboration with John Moehrke (absent).
Ongoing
Tony Calice
10/6/10
78
9/29/10
Continue work on Conformance Guide.
Open
Parag More, Keith Boone (absent)
10/6/10
79
9/29/10
Begin finding the right people to answer the questions on the FAQ document.
Closed, Pending Review
Dragon Bashyam and Will Ross
10/6/10
80
9/29/10
Create “Directopedia” glossary page on wiki.
Closed
Caitlin Ryan
10/1/10

Notes

Notes
Janet Campbell
  • Proposed working Documentation Priorities list as the meeting agenda.
  • Deployment Models
  • Needs diagrams updated; she didn’t update the diagrams last week but will do this week.
  • Document was originally written by John Moehrke.
  • People had volunteered to edit include Janet Campbell, Noam Arzt, and David Tao.
  • If anyone else is interested in editing, please add your name to the Documentation Priorities chart.
  • Thinks this document is one of the most important documents because it informs a lot of the other documentation.
Andy Oram
  • Added some material.
  • Flagged some ambiguous parts.
Karen Witting
  • Reviewed Deployment Models.
  • Has serious concern that it is inconsistent with the XDD spec.
Janet Campbell
  • Asked if they could discuss at XD* meeting.
Karen Witting
  • Thinks discussion needs to include John Moehrke, because the Deployment Model includes many ideas he came up with she might just misunderstand what he means.
  • Without John Moehrke participating they might have a very short discussion at the XD* meeting.
Janet Campbell
  • Suggested scheduling a meeting around October 13, 14, or 15.
  • Asked for other comments on the Deployment Models.
Content Security for Simple Health Transport
Arien Malec
  • No progress.
Documentation APIs (
Java API Documents, C# API Documents)
Arien Malec
  • Ongoing.
Janet Campbell
  • Suggested lumping together because she got an email from a couple of different people doing related things, so wanted to bring the efforts together.
Tony Calice
  • Intended to figure out how to use the wiki to do this in a more public forum, but works with Claudio Sanchez, so up to this point they had been working on it together.
  • Included questions to use as a test to see if the document was successful.
  • Wanted to see if the posited questions were correct for the client development guide.
  • The answers would indicate what you would need to do and what objects you would need to have to send and to receive a message.
  • After he and Claudio create the document they will fill in the gaps with the API documentation done by Arien Malec.
  • Would like to have a wiki page to get questions answered quickly.
Janet Campbell
  • Asked if the first step is refining what it will actually contain.
Tony Calice
  • Following a framework that is already set up.
  • We put the two questions as our test case to see if the document is correct.
  • Wondering if other questions should be answered.
  • Will send questions to Arien Malec, and he will forward on to the person who can answer.
  • Will also post to a wiki page.
Janet Campbell
  • To create a new page, she usually makes a link, and it will say that it is linking her to a page that doesn’t exist yet and ask her if she wants to create it.
SMTP Client Developer's Guide
  • Kim Mung (sp?) of MedPlus was asking about creating a quick start guide for someone to connect their e-mail client to a HISP.
  • Janet emailed Kim, asked him/her if they’d be interested in creating for Direct Project efforts.
  • Waiting for response.
Tony Calice
  • He and Claudio Sanchez can see how similar or different the two documents are.
  • Can reuse or consolidate.
Janet Campbell
  • Thinks the hardest thing is making sure it is organized when there could be a lot of overlap.
Tony Calice
  • Faces the challenge of wanting to start with an overview each time.
  • After writing the overview he finds is not answering the questions that someone should be able to answer by the time they finish reading the document.

Janet Campbell
  • Sounds like a good way of refining what the document is actually going to be.
SMTP, SMIME and CERT Implementation Guide
Janet Campbell
  • No progress.
XD* Conversions for Direct Messaging
Janet Campbell
  • Last week it was decided that content was very good, but WG wanted to add more content.

Karen Witting
  • She did what she had agreed to do.
Arien Malec
  • Plans to sit down and write soon.
  • Contributed an irreverent guide, XD* Metadata Primer.
  • Encouraged others to take a look.
XDD Developers Guide
Janet Campbell
  • XDD How to Do It Developers guide will be rolled into Developer’s Guide.
NHIN Direct Overview
Janet Campbell
  • Had Abstract Model meeting.
  • Ended up with a model much more generic and abstract.
  • Can see the new document on the wiki.
  • Meeting on Friday to review that document hopefully for the last time.
  • Also, new content added surrounding how the Direct Project interacts with other programs.
  • Went through and rebranded to get rid of “NHIN Direct.”
  • Asked about references to the NHIN.
Arien Malec
  • Name allowed is “Nationwide Health Information Network,” not the acronym “NHIN.”
Will Ross
  • Asked if the trademark is on National Health Information Exchange?

Arien Malec
  • Yes, the trademark is on the acronym and the logo, not the full name “Nationwide Health Information Network.”
Policy Questions for Implementations
Janet Campbell
  • Needs to be categorized into big P, little P, best practices questions.
  • Asked if that was instead a task for Best Practices WG.
NHIN Direct Security Overview
Janet Campbell
  • Plan was to do a Call for Consensus this week.
Will Ross
  • No progress on his end.
Dragon Bashyam
  • Thinks the document is ready for a Call for Consensus.
  • Could first send to the Documentation and Testing WG.
  • Didn’t get comments from the Security & Trust WG.
Arien Malec
  • There is a Security & Trust WG meeting this week.

Janet Campbell
  • For Call for Consensus, she has been posting all documents but she does not want to continue doing this.
  • Requested team assistance.
Testing Guides
Janet Campbell
  • Tony Calice and Claudio Sanchez are owners.
Tony Calice
  • He and Claudio have a framework they’ve used in the past but probably won’t be able to start on this until next week.
  • John is at an HL7 conference this week.
  • Will reach out to set up a call.
Conformance Guide
Janet Campbell
  • Last comment was that they wanted to be able to rewrite it after the Deployment Model was complete. Unless there are updates?
Implementation FAQ
Dragon Bashyam
  • Took a shot at answering the questions posted on the wiki page.
  • Directed to other wiki pages that already had the answers.
  • Hopes to find a way to coordinate between this set of questions, policy questions, and questions coming out of the Best Practices WG.
  • He did not use a numbering system, instead used italics for the answers.
  • Raised concern that as new questions come in, we have to figure out the old and the new and go back and answer those.
  • Need to look at logistics for this FAQ-type page.
Karen Witting
  • Asked how questions were inputted.
Janet Campbell
  • These are the questions that had come from the Implementation Geographies WG.

Karen Witting
  • So basically you received a list directly from a person in that group and you posted the questions here?
Janet Campbell
  • Yes, the implementation geographies participants themselves were facing these questions.

Karen Witting
  • What happens when someone not in the Implementation Geographies WG needs to ask a question?
Arien Malec
  • Suggested an input page for questions.
  • Can announce in the blog.
Karen Witting
  • And over time we will need to organize and make it easier.
  • Has seen FAQ pages where all the questions are listed at top.

Dragon Bashyam
  • Can hyperlink them to the answers below.
Karen Witting
  • If each question is a heading, can use the table of contents to provide an index.
  • But that only works if your questions are short.

Janet Campbell
  • Once we get more sections, we could start categorizing.
Karen Witting
  • In the short term an index would help enough.
Arien Malec
  • Asked if he should blog.
Karen Witting
  • Yes, thinks a blog post would be helpful.
  • Should it be an “Implementation FAQ Input” page, posted to the wiki?
  • Then we would come on, delete the questions off of the input page, and add them to this Implementation FAQ page.
Janet Campbell
  • Will probably find that people won’t just limit themselves to implementation-type questions, which is OK.
Karen Witting
  • Direct Project FAQ.
  • Then can organize later.

Janet Campbell
  • Someone can create that drop box page.
Dragon Bashyam
  • Will create.
Karen Witting
· Liked the idea of blogging it.

Janet Campbell
  • Suggested adding to the main page as well.

Dragon Bashyam
  • How do we agree to come to a consensus on each question and answer?
  • We need a process for answering the questions to make sure we are communicating the right information.

Janet Campbell
  • Suggested reviewing drop box and answers during the Documentation and Testing WG meetings.

Dragon Bashyam
  • Can try that for now, see how it goes, change if need be.
Programmer's Introduction
Dragon Bashyam
  • Will send his work to Andy Oram.
Directionary
Janet Campbell
  • Is on wiki now.
  • Please use it.
Janet Campbell
  • For the meeting coming up at the end of October, what should Documentation and Testing WG’s role be, if any?
  • The event will be focused on implementation but she is wondering if there is a need for people there observing the testing and keeping track of what was being tested and what wasn’t being tested but should be, to build the testing guides.

Will Ross
  • Is already in the other WGs that will be at the event.

Janet Campbell
  • Has not attended something like this before, so is wondering what role there might be for Documentation and Testing.
Tony Calice
  • Thinks it is a great idea, cannot go, but thinks combining documentation team and developers is good because questions can get answered quickly.
Janet Campbell
  • If you are able to attend, might be a way to get more involved in the project.
  • Imagines having someone else there to look at it from a different example, keep records.

Arien Malec
  • Thinks they’ve taken on enough.
  • Feels for the October 27-28 meeting that the development and deployment guides should be the priorities.