Notes from the Documentation and Testing Workgroup
Date: October 13, 2010
Time: 2:00pm - 3:00pm EST
Attendees: Noam Arzt, Dragon Bashyam, Tony Calice, Janet Campbell, John Moehrke, David Tao, John Williams, Karen Witting, Arien Malec, Uvinie Hettiaratchy, Caitlin Ryan

Actions

Actions For This Week

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
88
10/13/10
Post to the Direct Project blog with WG updates
Ongoing
Janet Campbell, David Tao
10/20/10
89
10/13/10
Review previously posted and additional comments on the Deployment Models, make edits, then send Janet a list of questions that need to be discussed to decide whether to hold a call or just bring to the next WG meeting
Open
John Moehrke
10/20/10
90
10/13/10
Add comments to the Deployment Models document
Open
WG members
10/20/10
91
10/13/10
Can find the appropriate people to comment on Tony Calice’s work on the SMTP Developers Guide
Open
Arien Malec
10/20/10
92
10/13/10
Give feedback on XD* Conversions for Direct Messaging
Open
WG members
10/20/10
93
10/13/10
Put something together for a blog post about the Overview document, and send to David Tao for his review
Open
Janet Campbell
10/20/10
94
10/13/10
Take a look at the testing guide from high-level perspective
Open
Tony Calice
10/20/10
95
10/13/10
Look at what he’s done on other wikis in terms of creating a table of contents for the FAQ page
Open
John Moehrke
10/20/10
96
10/13/10
Look at what the wiki text looks like in terms of creating a table of contents for the FAQ page
Open
Janet Campbell
10/20/10
97
10/13/10
Combine the two FAQ pages
Open
Janet Campbell/Caitlin Ryan
??
98
10/13/10
Comment on Direct Project Programmer's Guide
Open
WG members
10/20/10
99
10/13/10
Update Directionary
Open
Caitlin Ryan
10/20/10

Actions From Last Week

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
81
10/6/10
Update diagrams in Deployment Models
Closed (?), see here
Janet Campbell
10/13/10
82
10/6/10
Add name as editor to Deployment Models on the Documentation Priorities if interested in editing
Ongoing
Interested WG members
10/13/10
83
10/6/10
Schedule a meeting around October 13-15 to discuss discrepancies between Deployment Models and XD*
Open (?)
XD* team and John Moehrke
10/15/10
84
10/6/10
Will send his questions to Arien Malec, and he will forward on to the people who can answer
Will also post questions to a wiki page
Closed (?)
Tony Calice
10/13/10
85
10/6/10
Meeting on Friday to review that document hopefully for the last time
Closed
Overview Document reviewers
10/8/10
86
10/6/10
Create “Implementation FAQ Input Drop-box” page on the wiki
Closed, see
here
Dragon Bashyam
10/13/10
87
10/6/10
Blog about “Implementation FAQ Input Drop-box” page
Closed, see here
Arien Malec
10/13/10

Notes


Janet Campbell
  • Thanked WG members involved in finalizing the Overview document
  • Asked for volunteers to contribute to blog

David Tao
  • Asked clarifying question about the blog: would the volunteer be contributing as a representative from this group, or in a rotating cycle of bloggers?

Arien Malec
  • The former, this would be a chance for the WGs to be able to update the wider activity on the significant things going on within the WG

Janet Campbell
  • If the WG post to the blog infrequently, she could do that as she gathers updates

David Tao
  • Since no one has been able to contribute to the blog so far, Keith has added to Google Groups calling attention to things for people outside of the group to look at
  • David Tao can also help periodically with the blog

Janet Campbell

Deployment Models
Janet Campbell
  • Last update: had been tasked to update some diagrams
  • In speaking with John Moerhke realized she doesn’t actually need to change the diagrams
  • Some need to be updated for word changes, but that is all
  • Andy Oram provided some good commentary, but he is gone for the next three weeks
  • David Tao and Karen Witting have also contributed
  • What happens next?
  • John could go back and revise based on the comments or they could get everyone together to discuss

John Moehrke
  • He just discovered the comments on the Deployment Models
  • If any of them cause discussion rather than just editorial changes, he will bring those up

Karen Witting
  • The description of XDR and XDM implies functionality that isn’t documented anywhere
  • Her reading of it implies that there is something that hasn’t been done yet

John Moehrke
  • Is your comment up there, Karen?

Karen Witting
  • Her comments are under the topic edits and comments started by David Tao

John Moehrke
  • Will look into
  • He is not surprised because he did make some assertions

Karen Witting
  • Said the XDR receiver must be able to handle with minimal metadata (check)

John Moehrke
  • The HISP connecting NHIN Direct to XDR must be able to handle that
  • Will look over her comments

Karen Witting
  • Maybe no problem, just needs to be reworded

Janet Campbell
  • Expects there should be at least one session to hammer out “this is what I thought you meant, this is what you actually meant” like they did for other documents
  • Wondered if it might make sense to schedule something for Monday or Tuesday

John Moehrke
  • Next week is HIE face to face meetings

Karen Witting
  • Disapproves of evening meetings

John Moehrke
  • Asked WG members to add comments, he will look over
  • Will send Janet a list of questions that need to be discussed, decide whether they need to do a call or just bring to next meeting

David Tao
  • Direct Overview is a controlled Word document
  • The Deployment Models document and others can be changed by anyone on the wiki
  • Is our approach to keep these documents on the wiki for the time being and version control sometime in the future?

Arien Malec
  • In the past we’ve linked to a specific revision number of a document in the wiki
  • Wiki does versioning
  • Has ability to link to something in PDF

David Tao
  • Understands history and versioning exists, but even if there is a perfect version, if someone edits afterwards, the one shown is the most recent

Arien Malec
  • Right, we can point to a version of the document that won’t change

David Tao
  • Wanted to know if general strategy was a mix forms: Word, wiki, PDF

Arien Malec
  • Can lock a page
  • There’s some value to being able to have a version locked, but continue being able to edit

Janet Campbell
  • Suggested keeping in the wiki format but locking the page
  • Doesn’t like the idea of putting in a document, because it is not as easy to view
  • It feels separate
  • Using content in other places, so it is nice to have in wiki form

Content Security for Simple Health Transport
Arien Malec
  • No progress this week

API Documentation
Arien Malec
  • Getting updated frequently

SMTP/SMIME Implementation Guide
Janet Campbell
  • Mostly getting folded into other documents

Email Client Configuration Guide
Janet Campbell
  • Janet has not yet heard back from Kim Long
  • Thought parts of it would be covered by SMTP Developers Guide

Tony Calice
  • Found a couple sources on the CSharp site that gave pretty good detail about how to configure the exchange client
  • What exactly are we looking for in this document?
  • Is the intent just to be able to advise on how to configure various email exchange servers?

Arien Malec
  • The CSharp guide is about how to configure exchange as a server side capability
  • This document is on the client side

Janet Campbell
  • If anyone needs something to do, this general how-to guide needs work
  • Anyone going to the face to face in October could document and contribute to this document
  • Would likely be part of the testing

SMTP Client Developer's Guide
Tony Calice
  • Mechanical error—there was already a wiki called Client Developers Guide
  • Would like to rename
  • Was working with Claudio Sanchez, but they got hit with other work
  • He was serving a test case to see if he was supporting sufficient guidance
  • Put in the abstract guidance what a developer ought to have learned from reading this document
  • Needs to ask for someone on Reference Implementation WG to give him some comments

Arien Malec
  • Can find the appropriate people to comment on his work on the SMTP Developers Guide

Tony Calice
  • Put in some instructions for people at the code-a-thon to catch the “aha!” moments

XD* Conversions for Direct Messaging
Arien Malec
  • Held a meeting on Friday
  • Last night he added another update to that
  • Making progress
  • Meeting on Thursday

David Tao
  • Is there anything that can be done offline?

Arien Malec
  • Not sure there is a lot left
  • There is some stuff that needs to be documented, but there are currently not a lot of open questions

David Tao
  • Change proposal, will that be discussed?

Karen Witting
  • Don’t need to get into technical stuff

John Moehrke
  • But we’ll know if IG throws it out

Direct Overview
Janet Campbell
  • Done

Arien Malec
  • Review is always welcome, but he thinks they are solid on things there
  • There is not a lot left to figure out

Karen Witting
  • There are parts not written yet, skip those parts
  • But if you can read and assess to see if the current content is understandable, comprehensive enough, that would be great feedback

Arien Malec
  • Critical review would be useful, but we don’t need lots of new stuff, just a critical eye to make sure the things we’ve documented are useful
  • We’ve included most of the implementation geographies people in the process

Janet Campbell
  • People can give feedback for XD* Conversions for Direct Messaging

Arien Malec
  • We’ve tasked the Security and Trust WG to add to it

Karen Witting
  • We don’t have any examples
  • Want to add examples when it is done

John Moehrke
  • The security considerations section would fall out of the risk assessment that we said we were going to do
  • He will spend some time charging the risk assessment with some stuff

Policy Questions for Implementations (unanswered questions document)
Janet Campbell
  • Was going to take a shot at writing up the questions, and hasn’t yet
  • Will do this week

John Moehrke
  • Asked if there was new content on that page

Janet Campbell
  • No, just more questions that could be answered

John Moehrke
  • So we haven’t disposed of those questions yet?

Janet Campbell
  • Right, it will be a living document
  • May eventually give over to the Best Practices WG

John Moehrke
  • We are all done with the Overview, great
  • Are you writing the blog article?
  • Key thing to write about

Janet Campbell
  • Good idea
  • She will put something together for a blog post about the Overview, and send to David Tao for his review

David Tao
  • Before the weekend is better

John Moehrke
  • Suggested to include some excerpts from the Overview document in the blog post

Direct Security Overview
Janet Campbell
  • Ended up not meeting?

Dragon Bashyam
  • Waiting for the Security and Trust WG to meet to review the document

Arien Malec
  • The Security and Trust WG will meet on Thursday

Testing Guide
Janet Campbell
  • We put off for now
  • Wanted from a high-level scenario
  • Last week nothing was happening

John Moehrke
  • Was one of the last ones to touch it
  • Received a request to make a high-level test plan rather than a low-level test procedure
  • We haven’t don’t much since

Tony Calice
  • Plans to take a look
  • Can offer guidance
  • Didn’t realize there was already a document out there
  • Is it a matter of providing content or a significant overhaul?

John Moehrke
  • Now is in the form of a high-level test plan
  • Will either have all kinds of comments or want to fill in some details
  • The big point is, he tried to bring it up a level so that it was independent of the Deployment Models
  • As a test procedure, you get into the specifics of the deployment model, and don’t have a useable plan
  • But still needs to include, “if you employing as XDR, here are the details”
  • Encouraged Tony to take a look at from that perspective and to assist

Conformance Guide
Janet Campbell
  • Parag is not able to be here but will return to work on this soon

John Moehrke
  • Is this the one we were going to fold in with the security conformance guide?

Arien Malec
  • That’s for the document he is working on, the Content Security for Simple Health Transport
  • Should have all the conformance statements in it
  • We are wanting to make that a more inclusive document

John Moehrke
  • We don’t really have a standalone conformance guide anymore, but don’t lose this action item until we combine them
  • There is a lot of good material in the document as is

FAQ Page
Janet Campbell
  • We put together the FAQ Drop Box, Arien blogged about
  • As she looked at the questions, she found there was also a general FAQ page out there, and there is some overlap
  • We may want to combine into one

John Moehrke
  • Could have a landing zone for all questions

Janet Campbell
  • Added the wikispaces table of content

Arien Malec
  • As long as the questions are short and formatted as headers, they get pulled in automatically

John Moehrke
  • Could have a different table of content format
  • Questions like this are difficult to put into a header

Janet Campbell
  • Would be better if it didn’t try to wrap

Noam Arzt
  • Could do it the hard way
  • Problem with automatic table of content is you can’t tell where one question ends and one begins
  • Could you make a bulleted list?

John Moehrke
  • Will look at what he’s done on other wikis

Janet Campbell
  • Could look at what the wiki text looks like

Arien Malec
  • Doesn’t look like you have that many options

David Tao
  • Makes sense to combine until it is at the point where it needs to be segmented
  • Could treat these as section headings, i.e. “relationships with state HIEs”
  • But then they would be topics
  • Would still list the full questions below

John Moehrke
  • Thinks we need to group them anyways
  • Should still show the questions in the table of contents, but if they are grouped, might help

Janet Campbell
  • Can always link to anchors and do it that way
  • Will combine the two herself or ask Caitlin Ryan to do it

Direct Project Programmer's Guide
  • Dragon put together a first draft, Andy was going to look at it

Dragon Bashyam
  • Just an outline, asked people to comment

Directionary
Janet Campbell
  • Sitting out there
  • May need to be updated now that the Overview has been published
  • Add link to the Documentation Priorities

Submission Page for the FAQ
Janet Campbell
  • No new questions on the FAQ submission page
  • Asked for any additional work, ideas, questions