Notes from Documentation and Testing WG Meeting

Date: November 3, 2010

Time: 2:00pm – 2:45pm EST
Attendees: John Moehrke, Andy Oram Will Ross, Michele Smith, David Tao, Karen Witting, Arien Malec, Caitlin Ryan

Actions


New Actions for This Week
#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
103
11/3/10
Vote on Deployment Models by November 9
Open
Doc/Testing WG members
11/9/10
104
11/3/10
Vote on Simple Health Transport by November 9
Open
Doc/Testing WG members
11/9/10
105
11/3/10
Remove SMTP, SMIME and CERT Implementation Guide from Documentation Priorities list because it was incorporated into SHALL document
Open
Janet Campbell/Caitlin Ryan
11/10/10
106
11/3/10
Offer E-mail Client Configuration Guide to implementation geographies for their use
Open
Arien Malec
11/10/10
107
11/3/10
Fold E-mail Client Configuration Guide
into Deployment Models, plan to put consistent headers into all deployment models
Open
John Moehrke
11/10/10
108
11/3/10
Discuss namespace for XDR/XDM
Open
XDR/XDM small group
11/10/10
109
11/3/10
Do another pass on NHIN Direct Security Overview, addressing comments from consensus
Open
Dragon Bashyam, Will Ross, John Moehrke (assist)
11/10/10
110
11/3/10
Add content from face to face meeting to Testing Guides
Open
Janet Campbell
11/10/10
111
11/3/10
Continue to revise DNS Configuration Guide, then move through small group review
Open
Brian Beheldnorf
11/10/10
112
11/3/10
Add Bare Metal Project to Documentation Priorities matrix
Open
Janet Campbell/Caitlin Ryan
11/10/10
113
11/3/10
Draft Direct Project Process document
Open
Arien Malec, David Tao (review)
11/10/10
114
11/3/10
Start to put together a conversation about certificate deployment
Open
John Moehrke
11/10/10
115
11/3/10
Review Pilot Planning High-Level Roadmap
commit it as a Doc/Testing WG document;
Add to 11/10/10 agenda
Open
Doc/Testing WG
11/10/10

Remaining Actions from Previous Weeks
#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
100
10/20/10
Write missing piece for Simple Health Transport
Closed?
Greg, Umesh Madan
11/3/10
88
10/13/10
Post to the Direct Project blog with WG updates
Ongoing
Janet Campbell, David Tao
10/20/10
91
10/13/10
Can find the appropriate people to comment on Tony Calice’s work on the SMTP Developers Guide
Open?
Arien Malec
10/20/10
92
10/13/10
Give feedback on XD* Conversions for Direct Messaging
Open?
WG members
10/20/10
95
10/13/10
Look at what he’s done on other wikis in terms of creating a table of contents for the FAQ page
Open?
John Moehrke
10/20/10
96
10/13/10
Look at what the wiki text looks like in terms of creating a table of contents for the FAQ page
Open?
Janet Campbell
10/20/10
97
10/13/10
Combine the two FAQ pages
Open?
Janet Campbell/Caitlin Ryan
??
98
10/13/10
Comment on Direct Project Programmers Guide
Open?
WG members
10/20/10
66
9/29/10
Add Documentation Priorities list to Doc/Testing WG main page
Open
Janet Campbell
10/20/10
69
9/29/10
Create outline of a documentation map
Open?
Andy Oram
10/20/10
77
9/29/10
Begin work on Testing Guide, in collaboration with John Moehrke (absent)
Open?
Tony Calice
10/20/10
Notes:

Arien Malec
  • Janet Campbell put together a high-level test plan since the face to face meeting, but it is not yet posted to the wiki
  • He feels very strongly that based on the face to face meeting, the Direct Project is at a level where things work end to end, without a lot of challenges, and now it would be useful to have a definitive set of cases that an operational HISP could put themselves through in order to verify they are meeting criteria

Deployment Models
John Moehrke
  • Ready for next review
  • He’ s integrated the comments that were received
  • Asked people to check his work
  • Ready for large group consensus

Arien Malec
  • Going through consensus rounds gets people to actually look at a document
  • Will move Deployment Models document to WG consensus, then IG consensus next week
  • WG review deadline of November 9, 2010 (before next IG meeting)
  • Asked WG members to review early enough so John make revisions prior to IG meeting
  • If the group needs an extra week for review, that’s fine, too

Simple Health Transport
Arien Malec
  • Ready for small team review on all the components
  • He pulled together material that had already been reviewed
  • Two options:
  • Another small team review to reach final level of refinement and move to full WG consensus
  • Or jump the first step and go to straight to WG consensus
  • Asked John Moehrke if feels he has reviewed the document enough, as a standards editorial review

John Moehrke
  • Seems the document is in the same space as the Deployment Models
  • Probably won’t be able to motivate a small group to continue to look at it again
  • Suggested moving to WG consensus
  • Clarified, this is the “Big Shall” document
  • He provided comments last time, feels the document is ready for WG consensus

SMTP, SMIME and CERT Implementation Guide
Arien Malec
  • Dead document, content was moved to SHALL doc
  • Can remove from list

E-mail Client Configuration Guide
Arien Malec
  • Janet Campbell is the owner of this document
  • Essentially two paragraphs, one about e-mail client configuration in agent HISP model, and then one about e-mail client configuration in a standard e-mail client with S/MIME model
  • Thinks the content is best applicable if offered to the implementation geographies as they write their own client configuration guides

John Moehrke
  • Will they use?

Arien Malec
  • Was discussed at 11/2/10 IG meeting
  • Doug Arnold wanted to give to providers to tell how to configure e-mail clients
  • How to get from HISP to SMTP input, etc.
  • It will be a much better document if you can actually fill in those values

John Moehrke
  • So if they were to make a deployment form out of it, the HISP can publish a form
  • He was looking at the current text
  • Could slip nicely into Deployment Models document as a sub-section
  • Then we wouldn’t need a stand-alone document

Arien Malec
  • Agreed that it is isn’t big enough as a stand-alone document
  • John Moehrke will fold into the Deployment Models
  • Arien Malec will offer to implementation geographies for their use

David Tao
  • EHRs are a different endpoint

John Moehrke
  • Can expand upon the pattern
  • During the EHR/PHR models he can say it is more specific, and we don’t have the general details
  • More difficult when we get to XDR implementation
  • Will be heavier on the first two deployment models,
  • Should plan to put consistent headers into all deployment models

Arien Malec
  • Yes, then showing there is “not much to say” in some sections will point out where it is highly implementation-dependent versus areas that are pretty standard across implementations

Developers Guides
Arien Malec
  • Wanted to combine into single developers guide
  • Could not remember current status

XDR and XDM for Direct Messaging, (formerly known as XDD)
David Tao
  • Added comment about namespace

John Moehrke
  • Doesn’t think they are going away from NHIN in the URI
  • Maybe it doesn’t have a name collision in the URI space

Arien Malec
  • We can call it “Direct Project”

John Moehrke
  • Or can take and run through IHE accelerated process and use IHE namespace

Arien Malec
  • Is happy to do that
  • Could incorporate

Karen Witting
  • Asked about namespace

Arien Malec
  • We don’t have the namespace declaration bits, including the URI for namespace declaration

Karen Witting
  • IHE does not have its official namespace set up yet either

Arien Malec
  • Will take as action for next XDR/XDM message call

Karen Witting
  • Wouldn’t worry too much about it
  • At some point will want to make it all the same, but it is still early

John Moehrke
  • But that would mean putting the burden on NHIN

Arien Malec
  • Let’s do something for the pilots, then piggy-back on what the others figure out


NHIN Direct Security Overview
Arien Malec
  • Got a pretty thorough review, didn’t get consensus-ed
  • Whole set of comments attached, many of them are good and useful
  • Editor is Will Ross

Will Ross
  • Dragon Bashyam has done most of the work, he is shadow editor

Arien Malec
  • We will kick back to the two of you to do another pass, addressing the comments
  • Asked John Moehrke to help out as well
  • If we agree on the comments and address them, the document should go back to IG Consensus

Testing Guides
Arien Malec
  • Janet Campbell hasn’t incorporated the content she added since the f2f
  • She had positive/negative tests
  • She captured more scenarios, primarily many of the negative test cases, given certificate configuration
  • If certificates were not chained properly, expired, many of the common things that should cause security exceptions did
  • She was formalizing some of that work

Implementation FAQ
Arien Malec
  • No update

John Moehrke
  • No new questions submitted

Directionary
Arien Malec
  • Ongoing updates

DNS Configuration Guide
Arien Malec
  • May need to go into Deployment Models, just like the E-mail Configuration Guide
  • Came out of the Go-Daddy problem, but really not a Go-Daddy problem
  • Intent to write up all the steps you would need to take on if you were configuring a DNS for both MX and cert records

Will Ross
  • Asked about the bare metal standup steps

Arien Malec
  • This document more applicability beyond bare metal
  • Brian Behlendorf did put a ton of content here
  • Let’s make Brian the editor of this document
  • Continue to take through revisions, then move through small group

Bare Metal Project
Arien Malec
  • Highly useful, describes how to take the Java reference implementation (though also working on some of the same stuff on CSharp side)
  • Take installer, download, install, configure, run in production or production testing environment
  • Primary audience: implementation geographies needing to run a HISP in operation
  • Should track in the Documentation Priorities matrix
  • Still in small group mode
  • Beau Grantham and team are actively going through the process
  • Have made a ton of progress

Andy Oram
  • Has time for editing after December 7, 15

David Tao
  • No new suggestions for documents
  • Already on some editing groups, but he or someone else from Siemens could help on the bigger ones that might need more editing, like Simple Health Transport or Deployment Models in final stages

Michele Smith
  • In attendance

Arien Malec
  • Occurs to him that as they are spinning up the Standards and Interoperability (S&I) framework, would be useful to have a formalization of the process that Direct followed
  • Have some process documents already
  • Additional process steps should be developed and added
  • Any takers?

Karen Witting
  • Doesn’t know what the process is

Arien Malec
  • He could do a rough take at the process
  • By formalization he means writing down a more definitive process statement

Karen Witting
  • Doesn’t believe there is a clear process, has never been adequately expressed

David Tao
  • Thinks stimulating this is good, because they had been talking about this project as a future prototype
  • We can tweak and look at both the positive and negative aspects of the Direct Project
  • Better than having future projects follow an undefined process

Karen Witting
  • Has never been part of a project with such an undefined process
  • IHE had a similar feel, but then when rules were written down, people agreed
  • Is willing to watch and see what is written, then will have an opinion
  • Asked what happens when someone votes “no” in consensus

Arien Malec
  • A “no” vote stops the call for consensus, brings the document back to discussion, concerns and concrete objections are addressed to get the document to a “yes” vote
  • In rare circumstances, moves to majority voting process
  • Was part of the upfront process discussion that took place before many current Direct Project members were involved
  • We have been remiss at documenting the process

Karen Witting
  • Prefers NHIN Exchange process because it was known and understood

David Tao
  • Will help edit

Arien Malec
  • Will draft first take

John Moehrke
  • Asked about the DNS page: Would that be tightly associated with Certificate Pilot Recommendations?

Arien Malec
  • Thinks so
  • Also with the Deployment Models
  • In some sense it says if you are using this deployment model, here is what to do with client configuration, here is what to do with DNS

John Moehrke
  • Using DNS, it can be done
  • Deployment Models page is how can you deploy e-mail infrastructure
  • Doesn’t have page on certificate distribution
  • Related but not available yet
  • Doesn’t really help us to tie together yet
  • He could start to put together a conversation about certificate deployment

Arien Malec
  • No reason to generate more work but he thinks such a document would be useful

John Moehrke
  • This group needs to take a look at pilot planning high-level road map and make some kind of documentation out of that
  • We should at least be aware of this
  • A really nice entry point for potential pilot projects

Arien Malec
  • So a concrete ask is to take and formalize as deliverable in this group?

John Moehrke
  • Yes, to review, make it better, commit it to a document
  • Could see fitting alongside Overview document

Arien Malec
  • Clear set of actions, ended call early