Implementation Geographies WG Call
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
12:00 PM EST

Attendees: Will Hartung (Mirth Corporation), Sri Koka (Techsant Technologies), Andy Heeren (Cerner Corporation), Don Jorgenson (Inpriva), Kim Long (MedPlus), Patrick Pyette (Inpriva), Greg Chittim (RIQI), Gary Christensen (RIQI), Will Ross (Redwood MedNet), Doug Arnold (MPS), Carrie Adams (Bass & Associates), John Moehrke (GE Healthcare), David Tao (Siemens), Robert Barker (NextGen Healthcare), Paul Tuten (VisionShare) [lead], Tyler Blitz (Microsoft)

Paul -
We have a new attendance tracker. Visit the wiki page for more information and to sign into each meeting.

Okay, let's check in with the existing Pilots.

RIQI
Greg -
Getting production systems up and running, live EHR, State HIE, real data testing. Some interesting things happening there in the last week or so. Intersystems (HIE partner) released the newest version of HealthShare which is Direct compatible. That will give us a secure environment to test. Our HISP partner is going live with production environment now. Our EHR vendor is sitting for certification in the next week or so (also Direct compatible). Also with the HIE more broadly, it is going through go-live process (security auditing, etc). From the Direct perspective that's been wrapped up for a while. One other note: John Williams (Garden State) had a conversation earlier in the week about getting agreements up and running for HIMSS so we're all working together.

Connecticut
Doug -
We're running into some technical snafus with some vendors. Go live date needs to be pushed until end of Feb/early March. Will find new date over the next few weeks. eClinicalWorks won't be ready until late Feb/ early March. DocSite Covisint won't be in production until Feb. 28. That only leaves MedPlus and Microsoft. Given that, we didn't want to start with a small number of users. It will be better to start later with wider adoption. MedPlus will do a demo on HISP functionality at HIMSS. HubDirect is going into production Jan. 22. Users of their EHR will can send messages working toward meaningful use. Our timeline is probably more realistic now than before, given that some of these vendors and getting their meaningful use versions out.

Tyler -
Microsoft will be live with the ability to support vendors wanting to send information to HealthVault at the beginning of Feb. So we're working with MedPlus, but our capability will be available to any participating vendors.

Paul -
Brett is working with Umesh and Shawn on a public demonstration also.

MedAllies
David Tao -
Not from MedAllies but was on a call earlier with them. This is an unofficial report. Working through use cases of closed loop referals, etc. There was some follow-up regarding HIMSS that someone from MedAllies could update us on.

Paul -
I asked ONC last week to schedule a communications call about HIMSS. I'll take that upon myself to schedule. If you are interested in this, contact me.

CareSpark
Susan -
Things are moving along. We're meeting this afternoon with VA Mountain Home. We're also working on a timeline with Mountain States to see when they'll be ready to go live.

Redwood MedNet
Will -
We continue to unrealistically believe that we'll have production by HIMSS. We've narrowed it down to use cases involving Care Transitions and CCDs. We're working with two practices and 1 EHR vendor looking at what makes the most sense. We're letting the provider workflow take the lead on this. We're also continuing to shop around the optional inclusion of HealthVault, but it hasn't resonated yet with the practices. We're pushing forward anyway to enable Redwood to talk directly to HealthVault. You should see development on that shortly. We may be able to represent that in a demo without having production.

On coordination side, yes, we're at the point that whether ONC schedules something or not we need to get organized. Not everybody needs to talk to everybody, but we need to have some coherent stories.

Paul -
I'll take it upon myself to get that scheduled.

VisionShare
Paul -
Went live and into production with our first providers in Minnesota. We had been working with test transactions and last week we sent the first production Direct Project transactions. They have continued to flow. We're also in the midst of publically communicating the success that we've enjoyed. It's all a really big success. It was a great example of public/private partnership.

Sri -
Are you working any other states?

Paul -
We're working with MN and OK now, we're looking into some other interested states right now as well as building all of the functionality into existing network and infrastructure at other locations. So there are some competing priorities about that, but we are certainly looking to extend the same functionality to other geographies as there is demand and desire.

Anybody is welcome to reach out with particular needs at any time.

South Texas
[no representative on the call]

Paul -
Agenda topic: Data Sharing Agreement for Directed Exchange. Open up to existing Pilots to discuss whether those agreements would be able to be shared with others.

RIQI
Gary -
For directed exchange we're envisioning there will be a BAA between the doctor and the HISP. Beyond that you don't need an agreement because it's for the purpose of care. On the other hand, for communicating data via Direct into HIE we will have a data sharing agreement fashioned off of the one that we used previously. We haven't drafted that yet but will be happy to share that once it's completed.


Connecticut
Doug -
Same situation as RI. Would be happy to split work on that with anybody else who is working on that.


CareSpark
Susan -
As we're considering it a replacement of the fax machine there will probably be an amendment, but it won't be much different than what we have already.


Redwood MedNet
Will -
It's still an open question. We aren't approaching it at the moment because all of the participants have full agreements. One of the issues at play is if there is a HISP in the middle and it's not point to point between peers, I feel there might be some risk to Redwood that needs to be mitigated. Our general process historically will remain unchanged. We'll release it on the website and anyone can use it.


VisionShare
Paul -
I'll say similar things. It's covered by the existing agreements. I don't know if the services evolve and mature in the future what will happen, but presently it hasn't arisen as a problem. It's probably not going to be publishable to the wiki because they would be private agreements with their clients.

So it doesn't seem like there is any specific documentation publically available at this point.


Any other general questions/comments?


Rich Elmore -
We're starting a focus on the implementation pilots in communications workgroup and planning to try to get something out pre-HIMSS. Is there someone who is on the call each week that could partner with me to get these write-ups?


Paul -
I'll assist with that.


Send me an e-mail if you want to be included when we get a call scheduled to coordinate HIMSS