Presentation:
Notes from the Implementation Group
Date: September 7, 2010
Time: 3:00pm-4:30pm
Attendees: Allscripts, American Academy of Family Physicians, CareSpark/CGI Federal, Christus Health, Clinical Groupware Collaborative, CO State HIE/CORIO, eClinicalWorks, Emdeon, GE, Google, GSI Health, Harris Corporation, High Pine Associates, HLN Consulting, Intel, Kaiser, Kryptiq, Massachusetts eHealth Collaborative, MedAllies, Medical University of SC - South Carolina Research Authority, Medicity, MedNet, MedPlus/Quest Diagnostics, Misys Open Source Solutions (MOSS), MobileMD, ONC, Oregon HIE Planning Team, Rhode Island Quality Institute, Surescripts, Techsant Technologies, VA, VisionShare

Current Action Items


#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
1
2010-08-31
Update the Resource and Collaboration Needs for Pilot Projects
Open
Pilot Project Participants
Ongoing
3
2010-08-31
Inform Documentation and Testing WG if you have a documentation need
Open
IG Members
Ongoing
4
2010-09-07
Re-contact pilot project leads to populate the Technology Providers x Pilots Crosswalk
Open
Paul Tuten
Open

Last Week's Action Items


#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
1
2010-08-31
Update the Resource and Collaboration Needs for Pilot Projects
Open
Pilot Project Participants
Ongoing
2
2010-08-31
Call for consensus: NHIN Direct Overview
Vote on Wiki by September 8th
(Remember, choosing not vote is the same as a vote of consent.)
Closed
IG Members
2010-09-08
3
2010-08-31
Inform Documentation and Testing WG if you have a documentation need
Open
IG Members
Ongoing

Agenda

  1. Reminders
  2. Workgroup Updates
  3. Calendar and Participation
  4. Recap

Reminders

Arien Malec
  • Asked IG members to use the Q&A box in live meeting if they have any questions
  • Moved forward to the WG Updates

Implementation Geographies WG Update

Arien Malec
  • Identified that Paul Tuten was not there
  • Asked Uvinie Hettiaratchy to provide the WG update
Uvinie Hettiaratchy
  • Recognized that there is a lot of progress on the planning side
    • The Rhode Island Quality Institute has posted its current task-list online
      • This should be helpful to participating pilots
    • CareSpark is planning to post their current data-modeling to the Wiki as well
  • Highlighted that the crosswalks/matrices are being populated
  • Once more asked pilot participants to put requests into the resource and collaboration matrix

Security and Trust WG Update

Arien Malec

Reference Implementation WG Update

Arien Malec
  • Realized Brian Behlendorf is not present
Uvinie Hettiaratchy
  • Confirmed that Brian Behlendorf would not be present
Arien Malec
  • Proceeded to progress update
  • Examined CSharp team's progress
    • CSharp is thundering along
      • A lot of the work has been moved to documentation and back-filling unit tests
    • Remaining work:
      • Chain-building for certificate distribution
      • XD* Side
  • Reviewed Java team's progress
    • Progress on following:
      • XD* side
      • Cross-map between XDR and XDM
      • Unit test coverage
      • Apache James conversion
    • Remaining Work:
      • Agent/Gateway
      • Configuration/UI
  • Highlighted common points for both teams:
    • Core agent is seeing really good progress
    • Aim to create a feature-ready tracker this week for the implementation geographies
    • Getting ready for additional help from the wider coding community
      • Creating a hit-list for items to be completed in short spans of time
    • May potentially hold an additional CSharp-Java architecture review
    • Big upward slopes in terms of commits/lines of code
  • Commended the Reference Implementation WG for the vast strides made of recent

Documentation and Testing WG Update

Arien Malec
  • Recognized that Janet Campbell is not present
  • Proceeded to Documentation and Testing WG update
  • Believed the S/MIME Configuration Specification is nearing consensus
  • Addressed the XDD Specification
    • Conversations taking place this week
    • Discussing the different forms of metadata
  • Focused on the Deferred Policy Questions
    • Essentially, these are items which policymakers will need to address themselves
    • This is the case because NHIN Direct will not address them
  • Stated they are making fantastic progress

Communications WG Update

Rich Elmore
  • Stated they had their update meeting today
  • Identified the WG's progress on their central PowerPoint presentations
    • Goal is to summarize NHIN Direct what it is
  • Discussed the WG's two-page messages for the following:
    • States
    • HIEs
    • HIT Vendors
    • Providers
  • Recognized that the messaging itself is stabilizing
    • Need to make it more presentable
  • Expressed goal of moving on to some other deliverables
    • One pagers on NHIN Direct
  • Commended Brian Ahier, David Kibbe, Michelle Darnell and Janet Campbell for their leadership on various documents

Best Practices WG Update

Arien Malec
  • Clarified that this WG was tentatively/briefly entitled the "Policy WG"
    • Renamed it the "Best Practices WG"
    • Still involves policy, however with a small "p" instead of a big "P"
      • Takes recommendations from the Tiger Team/other policymakers
      • Turns them into actionable policy items for NHIN Direct
    • Will have to collaborate with those ongoing policy-advising bodies
      • This is in order to prevent NHIN Direct from advancing best practices ahead of current advice
  • Shared that the first meeting is this Thursday from 1pm-2pm
    • This week they will focus on drafting the charter
    • Preselected group of participants
    • However, if you have an interest, please send your requests to nhindirect@nhindirect.org

Q&A

Doug Arnold
  • Asked if IG members will be notified when the communications documents are ready
Rich Elmore
  • Responded that the IG will be notified when they are
    • Need to make sure the presentations are clean and ready
    • Week or two away from that
Gary Christensen
  • Asked for an update on the API call for integration of EHR vendors
Arien Malec
  • Responded that a lot of thinking is going into that
    • Waiting to get the core code ready to the feature-complete state
    • Then they will prepare/add the API niceties which are developer-friendly
  • Added that it is definitely a priority
Rich Elmore
  • Highlighted point with respect to the Best Practices WG
    • The Tiger Team had indicated it would be a while before they get to the policy questions associated with NHIN Direct
Arien Malec
  • Recognized the merit of Rich Elmore's point
    • Clarified that they have a good cross-pollination between the Tiger Team/ONC Policy folk and the new Best Practices WG
    • If not, the only thing they can do is create best practice guidance on some of those policy recommendations
  • Commented this is a low risk because of the cross-pollination
    • Do not want the Best Practice WG making new policy advice/recommendations
    • There are enough needs across all stakeholder groups
      • Looking at states, NHIN governance, insurance exchanges, etc.

Calendar and Participation

Arien Malec
  • Stated that WG meetings are now evenly spread across Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
  • Expressed appreciation for the work conducted by those dedicated to the NHIN Direct project