Presentation:
Notes from the Implementation Group
Date: October 5, 2010
Time: 3:00pm - 3:30pm EST
Attendees: Allscripts, Carespark/CGI Federal, Cerner, Christus Health, CO State HIE/CORIO, Covisint, eClinicalWorks, Emdeon, Epic, Garden State Health Systems, Greenway Medical Technologies, Harris Corporation, High Pine Associates , HLN Consulting, LLC, IBM, Intel, Kryptiq, MedAllies, Medicity, MedNet, MedPlus/Quest Diagnostics, NoMoreClipboard.com, Oregon HIE Planning Team, RelayHealth, Rhode Island Quality Institute, Siemens, South Carolina HIE, Surescripts, VisionShare

Actions

Actions for This Week


Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
10/5/10
Submit input on NHIN rebranding by writing to nhindirect@nhindirect.org.
Open
IG members
10/12/10
10/5/10
Write to nhindierect@nhindirect.org if you plan to attend the October face to face meeting in San Francisco.
Open
Coders and Implementation Geography Team Members
10/12/10
10/5/10
Provide opinions and guidance on Direct Project (NHIN Direct) renaming efforts by writing to Rich Elmore.
Open
IG members
10/12/10
10/5/10
Submit details about available communications vehicles on the Communications Launch page.
Ongoing
IG members
10/12/10
10/5/10
Communicate best practice needs as they arise in pilot project planning by writing to David McCallie.
Ongoing
IG members
Ongoing


Actions from Last Week


Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
9/28/10
Go to Rebranding to add new suggestions for a new name or to comment on existing name suggestions.
Open
IG members
10/5/10
9/28/10
For those who have not yet stated what they would like to contribute to the implementation geographies efforts, please go to Resource and Collaboration Needs for Pilot Projects to indicate resources available.
Ongoing
IG members with resources for implementation geographies
10/5/10
9/28/10
Join CSharp Team for work on XD* Gateway, contact Sean Nolan.
Open
Developers with CSharp and XD* interest
10/5/10
9/28/10
Assist with future communications efforts; go to Communications Launch.
Ongoing
IG members
10/5/10
9/28/10
Use current Communications documents in presentations; give Communications WG feedback to improve materials.
Ongoing
IG members
10/5/10

Agenda

  • Reminders
  • Announcements
  • Workgroup Updates
  • Calendar &Participation
  • Recap

Notes



Reminders
Arien Malec
  • Please use the Q&A box to add your questions.
  • We no longer have a “TBD” for the face to face meetings.
  • At the end of October there will be a face to face meeting particularly for developing the reference implementation and the technology.
  • May be a need for another face to face about implementation and policy.

Announcements
Arien Malec
  • Ongoing renaming for the NHIN.
  • Was an internal search for good names, and vetting of those names through some brand and trademark search.
  • Four finalists:
    • Health eConnection or U.S. Health eConnection
    • U.S. Health eWay or American Health eWay
    • Health IT xChange or U.S. Health IT xChange
    • (Variants could be Health IT Exchange or U.S. Health IT Exchange)
    • Health Exchange Protocol or U.S. Health Exchange Protocol
  • Asked IG members to submit input by writing to nhindirect@nhindirect.org and he will pass on.
  • Reminded that Direct Project rebranding and NHIN renaming processes are separate.

  • The Code-a-thon, Install-a-thon, Integrate-a-thon will take place October 27-28 in San Francisco.
    • Where: 8000 Marina Blvd, 6th floor, Brisbane, CA 94005-1865
    • Closest Airport: One mile from SFO
    • Purpose: Finalize code, create solid plan for pilot testing in November, and familiarize pilot technical leads and partners with reference implementation
    • Pilot technical teams can also use this time to share common challenges and issues
    • Who should attend?
      • Technical leads/partners from Pilot projects (especially pilots who are aiming to start testing in November)
      • Coders
  • The main intent of the event is to get the two reference implementations to feature-complete.
  • Goal is to set up each of the implementation geographies for success in an integration testing period in November for a late December or early January go-live date.
  • If you are one of the members of the team helping us put together all the code, we’d love to have you at the Code-a-thon.
  • If you are providing tech support for an implementation geography, would be good to have you there so we can walk you through the process.
  • In the Connect Code-a-thon, they took a whole team of folks through the setup.
    • The experience taught us where we need more reference implementation and configurations.
    • It helped everyone in our process get up to speed.
  • If you’d like to attend the October Code-a-thon, email nhindirect@nhindirect.org.
  • The event is still being planned, and you will see more information shortly.

Workgroup Updates

Reference Implementation WG
Arien Malec
  • Driving for feature-complete state by October 15.
  • Between October 15 and the Install-a-thon they will focus on packaging.
  • Aim to be production-ready by October 27-28 at the Install-a-thon.
  • CSharp Implementation
    • Progress: XD* Side, Logging Framework, DNS Responder
    • Remaining: XD*, CERT Builder, Installer, Config/UI, Unit Testing, Doc.
    • Good plan to get to feature-complete on XD* side of reference implementation.
  • Java Implementation
    • Progress: XD* Side, Installer, Config/UI, ATNA Logs
    • Remaining: XD*, CERT Builder, Installer, Unit Testing, Javadoc
    • Java side is ahead on XD*
    • Didn’t talk this time about DNS responder.
    • Have a target set of actions ahead.

Implementation Geographies WG
Paul Tuten
  • Have made more progress in the planning stage
  • Reviewed key needs/dependencies from pilots:
    • Client-side API
    • Funding/Resources
    • CONNECT
    • State HIE Coordination (one pilot group is dependent on them)
  • Continuing to compile open questions for Best Practices workgroup: http://nhindirect.org/Open+Questions+Tracker+for+Pilots
  • Pilot project technical teams are invited to participate in next Code-a-thon/Install-a-thon

Arien Malec
  • Has had ongoing discussions with Claudia Williams at ONC who heads up state HIE planning efforts.
  • Working together to make sure state HIE plans and pilots are coordinated.
  • Many states have key areas of interest or expertise, where it is possible to use Direct pilots in a way to advance overall interoperability.
  • Tying together Direct with the S&I framework and State HIE work to advance the cause of nationwide health information infrastructure.
  • The same goes for beacon communities and everything else going through the ONC process.

Communications WG
Rich Elmore

  • WG is focused on renaming Direct.
  • Right now they are using “Direct Project” as a placeholder.
  • Since last week’s IG meeting a number of IG members submitted suggestions, those were reviewed by the WG and a short list was made.
  • The WG will ask Arien Malec to make a final decision on the name, to prevent losing the name through domain crouching.
  • If you have strong opinions or guidance, please send along to Rich Elmore or Arien Malec get so WG can take that into account as that decision is made in the next week.
  • Can see all names considered on the Rebranding page.
  • The other large initiative is Education: identifying the events when we think there is a need for some communications activity.
  • Four Steps:
    • 1) The rebranding / renaming of the Direct Project (November?)
    • 2) The completion of (late 2010 or early 2011)
      • the reference implementation
      • best practices in support of the pilots
      • implementation geographies plan
      • and perhaps some early results from a pilot
    • 3) HIMSS (February 20-24, 2011)
    • 4) Completion of the pilots and general launch.
  • If you have blogs or other communications vehicles that can aid the future marketing launch, please add those to the Communications Launch page.

Doug Arnold
  • Requested documents with strategy or advice to engage state HIEs more effectively.

Arien Malec
  • If you have a particular need to address a particular state HIE, let Arien Malec know.

Documentation and Testing WG
Janet Campbell
  • Grammar tip of the week: adverb-adjective descriptors aren’t hyphenated
    • No: Fully-functional battle station
    • Yes: Fully documented scenarios
  • Security Overview: Waiting to hear back from Security group
  • Overview: Finishing abstract model discussion
    • Came out with something more abstract, which was what they wanted.
    • Feared previous pictures were too normative.
  • Policy Questions: To remain a work in progress
    • Decided that this will eventually feed the BP WG but that for now they can continue to add to it and keep it a moving document.
  • Testing and Implementation Guides: Gathering raw material, getting organized
  • Reference Implementation WG has called for a client API guide
  • Need for guides with various levels of technical expertise, “how do I do X?”
  • Will have at least some good draft work on all of this by the end of October for the -a-thons.

Best Practices WG
Arien Malec
  • WG has a new leader, David McCallie
  • Explained the difference between “big p” Policy questions at the HIT Policy Committee and Privacy and Security Tiger Team level, the “little p” policy questions that each individual implementation geography will make for itself, and the “middle p” questions that require guidance from the Best Practices WG.
  • Syncing with the Tiger Team on “big p” Policy questions.
  • Areas of overlap: levels of authentication and levels at which certificate authentication takes place.
  • Currently reviewing guidance for certificate management ):
  • Developing language on minimum policy requirements.
  • Agreed on process for addressing immediate pilot needs quickly.
  • If you have key issues or needs that you need best practices defined for, we have a process. Let David McCallie or Arien Malec know.
  • Goal is to staying aware of the needs of the implementation geographies.

Security and Trust WG
Arien Malec
  • Currently on hiatus.
  • May not be on hiatus soon, as requests for assistance pile up.

Calendar &Participation
Arien Malec
  • Introduced calendar of weekly meetings:
WG
Meeting Time
Reference Implementation WG
Tuesdays, 12pm-1pm EST
Communications WG
Tuesdays, 1pm-2pm EST
Implementation Geographies WG
Wednesdays 12pm-1pm EST
Documentation and Testing WG
Wednesdays, 2pm-3pm EST
Best Practices WG
Thursdays, 1pm-2pm EST
Security and Trust WG
Thursdays, 2pm-3pm EST

  • Calendar of events is consistent.
  • If you want to join, let us know at nhindirect@nhindirect.org.
  • Participation list keeps growing; we are very pleased to see all of the efforts of all individuals involved.
  • Thanks, everyone.