Presentation:
Notes from Implementation Group
Date: October 26, 2010
Time: 3:00 EST
Attendees: Alere, Allscripts, Axolotl, Cerner, Garden State Health Systems, Gartner, Harris Corporation, High Pine Associates , HLN Consulting, LLC, IBM, Kryptiq, MedAllies, MedPlus/Quest Diagnostics, Microsoft, Mirth Corporation, Misys Open Source Solutions (MOSS), Redwood MedNet, Rhode Island Quality Institute/Arcadia Solutions, South Carolina Information Exchange, VA


Actions

Actions for This Week
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
10/26/10
Vote on the Direct Project Security Overview, http://nhindirect.org/Direct+Project+Security+Overview+-+IG+Call+for+Consensus by November 1st
Open
IG members
11/1/10
10/26/10
If have a key need or goal you’d like addressed at the Face to Face meeting, please input it here: http://nhindirect.org/message/list/Direct+Project+October+Face-to-Face+Meeting
Open
IG members
10/29/10
10/26/10
Please list any events you are aware of or any events you present on the Communications Events wiki page
Ongoing
IG members
Ongoing
10/26/10
If you are an HIE, EHR, PHR and if you’ve adopted or have plans to adopt Direct standards, you can add your name to the HIT Vendor Self-Attestation list
Ongoing
IG members
Ongoing
Actions from Last Week
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
2010-10-12
Contact Arien Malec if interested in posting on the Direct Project Blog on behalf of your WG
Open
IG Members
2010-10-19
2010-10-12
E-mail nhindirect@nhindirect.org to attend the Direct Project October Face-to-Face Meeting
CLOSED
IG Members
2010-10-19
2010-10-12
Leave any unanswered questions in the FAQ drop-box page
Open
IG Members
2010-10-19
2010-10-12
Look at the final draft of the Direct Project Overview document, provide comments
CLOSED
IG Members
2010-10-19
2010-10-19
Reach out to David McCallie & Brian Behlendorf for WG "Vignettes"(Best Practices and Reference Implementation)
Open
Rich Elmore
2010-10-26

Agenda:
  • Reminders
  • Announcements
  • Workgroup Updates
  • Calendar &Participation
  • Q&A
  • Recap

Notes:
Announcements
Arien Malec
  • October Face to Face Meeting
  • “Code-a-thon, integrate-a-thon, test-a-thon”
  • Host: CollabNet
  • When: October 27th(12pm –5pm PDT); October 28th(9am –5pm PDT)
  • Official start time is 12pm, but some people are showing up at 9am
  • Some activities later on Wednesday
  • Where: 8000 Marina Blvd, 6th floor, Brisbane, CA 94005-1865
  • Main purpose: for organizations deploying reference implementations, or organizations already implementing specs on their own platforms, to make sure that they
  • a) can all interoperate
  • b) can learn how to configure and deploy
  • c) run into any key lessons now, to address before main integration testing happens in November
  • Goals:
  • Finalize code
  • Create solid plan for pilot testing in November
  • Familiarize pilot technical leads and partners with reference implementation
  • If the Connect Codeathon serves as any indicator, we’ll learn a ton, including about stuff in developers’ heads that needs to get documented
  • We’ll also learn what key things you need to do to test interoperable instances.
  • Janet Campbell will try to capture these for a high-level test plan
  • All workgroup calls on Wednesday, Oct. 27th and Thursday, Oct. 28th are canceled due to the Code-a-thon

HIT Standard Committee
  • Arien Malec will be doing update to Standards Committee early tomorrow

The Direct Project Security Overview
  • The Direct Project Security Overview is now up for Implementation Group consensus vote
  • Purpose is to provide a lay understanding of how direct specs protect and manage security
  • Document, created through the Documentation and Testing WG, achieved Security & Trust WG consensus last week
  • To access the consensus page, click here: http://nhindirect.org/Direct+Project+Security+Overview+-+IG+Call+for+Consensus
  • Please input your feedback and vote by November 1st
  • If there are objections we will do another round of edits
  • Will be one of the published deliverables of project, so should meet goals of IG

Workgroup Updates

Reference Implementation WG
Arien Malec
  • Code base is growing rapidly
  • Changing name spaces and work on configuration, lots of additional work, ongoing cleanup
  • Update as of 10/26:
  • CSharp Implementation
  • Progress: Namespace Changes, Config/UI (Trust Model), Debugging
  • Remaining: XD*, Config/UI, Installer, Unit Testing, Documentation
  • Java Implementation
  • Completed: Intermediate CERT Validation and ATNA logging for XD
  • Progress: Config/UI, CERT Resolver, Unit Tests, Javadoc
  • Remaining: XD*, Config/UI, LDAP, Installer, Unit Testing, Java doc
  • October Code-a-thon/Install-a-thon Goals:
  • Configuring & integrating HISPs to test for interoperability over Internet
  • Discovering improvement areas in Direct standards/specifications
  • Testing a variety of messages across backbone to diverse edge clients
  • Validation of encryption/decryption/signing, & cert. management


Implementation Geographies WG
Uvinie Hettiaratchy
  • Updates from 10/20 Meeting:
  • Key progress on pilots:
  • Pilots continuing to plan next steps in preparation for pilot testing in November
  • MedAllies shared clinical and technical workflow documents: http://nhindirect.org/MA+Shared+documents
  • Can leverage documents to avoid duplicative efforts
  • WG Consensus achieved for Certificate Pilot Recommendations
  • Decided to hold “Blue Button” breakout during October F2F
  • Engagement with the patient, led by Google, Microsoft
  • Discussion about blue button is scheduled for Thursday afternoon
  • Will finalize and put on wiki Face to Face Meeting page
  • May be able to call into session
  • If you’d like us to address a key need or goal during the F2F, please input it here: http://nhindirect.org/message/list/Direct+Project+October+Face-to-Face+Meeting

Arien Malec
  • Blue Button is a consumer empowerment workgroup
  • Goes by the mission that anyplace where a consumer can see his or her own data they should have a means of downloading it
  • Blue Button does branding around downloading the information
  • Interested in starting a discussion around a “light blue button” for Direct address

  • Each implementation geography has a different set of workflows, many are starting to come to terms now with how to do closed loop referrals using Direct specs as transfer
  • How to package lab data for distribution is a key issue
  • Starting to see work moving from transport level to content space, starting to profile content
  • All lessons learned through the implementation geographies are publicly distributed through the wiki, accessible to everyone
  • Really valuable outputs of early implementations
  • Will inform decisions made throughout standards and interoperability framework

Communications WG
Uvinie Hettiaratchy
  • Communications event –targeted for November 30 around completion of reference implementation
  • Standards Committee
  • Simultaneous blog, website, messaging for key stakeholders
  • Vignettes: Looking for volunteers for “vignettes” about the pilots, reference implementation and best practices: if able to help, reach out to Rich Elmore
  • Direct Project presentation achieved consensus within the Communications WG
  • Would be useful to use if you are talking about Direct: what it is, what it does, and who the key
  • stakeholders are
  • Communications Events wiki page
  • Please list any events you are aware of
  • And any events you present at

Arien Malec
  • Rich Elmore sent an email asking for organizations to add themselves to the new self-attestation page, HIT Vendor Self-Attestation
  • HIT vendors can provide self-attestation of plans to implement Direct
  • AllScripts has announced their plans
  • Two organizations mentioned yesterday through press releases that they also plan to implement Direct
  • This page will be a strong way for organizations to document ability, willingness
  • Will link off of Communications Workgroup page and off of homepage
  • If you are an HIE, EHR, PHR and if you’ve adopted or have plans to adopt Direct standards, you can add your name there
  • At this stage it is a low threshold self-attestation; will be other categories over time with higher thresholds
  • Will have standards later—more formal mechanisms to determine if implementing correctly

Documentation and Testing WG
Arien Malec
  • Security Overview: Consensus (Due November 1, 2010)
  • Giant SHALL document
  • Big long list of shells, need to do review process post ref imp
  • Janet Campbell will be drafting a testing guide during this week’s Face to Face meeting
  • Major revision to XDR and XDM for Direct Messaging
  • Almost complete, needs some reorganizing


Best Practices WG
Arien Malec
  • Big output—best practices for HISPs had lots of great materials, but still things to address, review team to go over changes
  • Arien Malec will work on
  • Mariann Yeager at ONC provided lessons learned from ONC Exchange
  • Some same questions Direct is facing have already been answered through Nationwide Health Information Network Exchange

Security and Trust WG
Arien Malec


Calendar &Participation
Arien Malec
  • Introduced calendar of weekly meetings:
WG
Meeting Time
Reference Implementation WG
Tuesdays, 12pm-1pm EST
Communications WG
Tuesdays, 1pm-2pm EST
Implementation Geographies WG
Wednesdays 12pm-1pm EST
Documentation and Testing WG
Wednesdays, 2pm-3pm EST
Best Practices WG
Thursdays, 1pm-2pm EST
Security and Trust WG
Thursdays, 2pm-3pm EST


Tim Andrews
  • Asked if there is a way to be aware of what is going on without reading whole wiki

Arien Malec
  • Pointed to the news ticker on the wiki title page
  • Arien Malec tries to document on the blog as things go to consensus
  • He’s started to open up blogging to WG leads
  • Janet Campbell posted news about the Overview document to the blog

Comment
  • Asked how to post comments on the Direct Security Overview

Arien Malec