Reference Implementation Meeting 2010-09-07

From Direct Project
Jump to: navigation, search
Notes from the Reference Implementation Meeting
Date: September 7, 2010
Time: 12pm-1pm
Attendees: Dragon Bashyam, Brian Behlendorf, Didi Davis, Beau Grantham, Chaminda Gunaratne, Nael Hafez, Andy Heeren, Susan Johnston, Steve Kehlet, Seonho Kim, Sri Koka, Vince Lewis, Umesh Madan, Arien Malec, John Moehrke, Stephen Outten, Pat Pyette, Claudio Sanchez, Jas Singh, John Theisen, Rob Wilmot

Current Action Items

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
14
2010/08/24
Discuss the centralized configuration server (Address/Universal) issue off-line
Open
Vassil Peytchev, Umesh Madan, Greg Meyer
2010/08/31
21
2010/08/31
Make progress on the XD* side for CSharp/Java teams
Open
Vassil Peytchev, Vince Lewis
2010/09/07
22
2010/08/31
Work on the Web Config component for the Java reference implementation
Open
Pat Pyette
2010/09/07
23
2010/08/31
Discuss the storage components of the "HISP in a Box" model: LDAP store v. machine store
Open
Vince Lewis, Greg Meyer, Umesh Madan
2010/09/07
25
2010/08/31
Re-announce the September F2F Code-a-thon through a Blog posting
Open
Arien Malec
2010/09/07
26
2010/08/31
Develop criteria for code-readiness for Implementation Geographies
Open
Susan Johnston
2010/09/07
28
2010/09/07
Conduct a unit test for the raw binary format for the request and response (DNS) by feeding into the resolver
Open
Sri Koka
2010/09/14
29
2010/09/07
Complete CSharp's intermediate trust unit
Open
Umesh Madan, Sean Nolan
2010/09/14
30
2010/09/07
Prepare a proposal for the Container/Spring.NET issue
Open
John Theisen, Chris Lomonico
2010/09/14
31
2010/09/07
Create a "feature-tracker" document on the website to keep the Geographies updated on the CSharp+Java reference implementations
Open
Susan Johnston
2010/09/14
32
2010/09/07
Coordinate an additional CSharp/Java architecture review for next week
Open
Brian Behlendorf
2010/09/14
33
2010/09/07
Prepare a "hit-list" for bite-sized tasks for other developers to taken on
Open
Umesh Madan, Beau Grantham
2010/09/14
34
2010/09/07
Develop coder-specific messaging to plug-in outside developers into the "hit-lists"
Open
Brian Behlendorf
2010/09/14


Last Week's Action Items

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
4
2010/08/18
Create a list of action items to be completed so that coders can be directly plugged into the Java reference implementation coding process
Closed
Beau Grantham and Brian Behlendorf
2010/08/24
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
13
2010/08/24
Discuss the container/Spring.NET issue off-line
Closed
Umesh Madan, Sean Nolan, Chris Lomonico, John Theisen
2010/08/31
14
2010/08/24
Discuss the centralized configuration server (Address/Universal) issue off-line
Open
Vassil Peytchev, Umesh Madan, Greg Meyer
2010/08/31
19
2010/08/24
Propose a virtual stand-up to address tracking issues on the Wiki
Closed
John Theisen
2010/08/31
20
2010/08/31
Discuss 30-day trial software for Java reference implementation as well as requirements for Clover reports
Closed
Greg Meyer, Beau Grantham
2010/09/07
21
2010/08/31
Make progress on the XD* side for CSharp/Java teams
Open
Vassil Peytchev, Vince Lewis
2010/09/07
22
2010/08/31
Work on the Web Config component for the Java reference implementation
Open
Pat Pyette
2010/09/07
23
2010/08/31
Discuss the storage components of the "HISP in a Box" model: LDAP store v. machine store
Open
Vince Lewis, Greg Meyer, Umesh Madan
2010/09/07
24
2010/08/31
Discuss the documentation for the CSharp team's Web Config/Console UI component
Closed
Claudio Sanchez, Umesh Madan, Arien Malec

25
2010/08/31
Re-announce the September F2F Code-a-thon through a Blog posting
Open
Arien Malec
2010/09/07
26
2010/08/31
Develop criteria for code-readiness for Implementation Geographies
Open
Susan Johnston
2010/09/07
27
2010/08/31
Hold the CSharp/Java Architecture Review
Closed
Umesh Madan, Beau Grantham, Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Sean Nolan, Greg Meyer, Vince Lewis
2010/09/02


Agenda

  1. CSharp Team Update
  2. Java Team Update
  3. Review Outstanding Issues


CSharp Update

Umesh Madan

  • Reported that a lot of documentation has been completed
    • In particular, Umesh Madan has worked on the DNS documentation
      • 75% Complete

Arien Malec

  • Focused on the API documentation
  • Also reported that Umesh Madan and he were working on the DNS items at the same time
  • The agent/common and API is fully documented
    • Need to push up to the API site
  • Stated current focus now is on unit tests
    • Plans to do so on both sides

Umesh Madan

  • Commented that the fact that this is not a generic mail gap, a lot of the documentation is addressed

Arien Malec

  • Compared CSharp side to the Java side
    • Noted that the Java side has a substantial amount of unit tests

John Theisen

  • Reported that he happened to get a preliminary installer
    • Using some of Umesh Madan's code
    • Worked on his 64 bit machine
    • Following just the instructions
    • One vote of confidence there
  • Added that he is cleaning up the structuring and figuring out the lines
  • Worked on the automated EHM help-file generator
    • Noted that it is in the build file
    • Will generate the EHM from the documentation

Umesh Madan

  • Shared that he built the 64 bit piece that morning
    • Commented that it would be deployed later this morning
    • Glad they got that worked out

Claudio Sanchez

  • Reported that he has not been able to do anything since he got back from Seattle
    • Has not worked on the Web/UI yet in terms of documentation
    • Will work with Tony Calice next week on the documentation for the Web UI

Umesh Madan

  • Added that the command line work is done
    • Those interested should be able to use it
  • Recognized that Chris Lomonico is on vacation
    • All of his DNS cache has been completed and pushed up
    • Serious unit tests checked in last week

Arien Malec

  • Commented that he had noticed that Chris Lomonico had logged in some serious work
    • In particular, noticed that Chris Lomonico had uploaded the raw binary format for the request and response
  • Asked Sri Koka if his team could look into it
    • Can feed that into the resolver

Sri Koka

  • Accepted to take that on for a unit test module
  • Asked about Ron Cordell's codeplex work

Arien Malec

  • Identified that Vassil Peytchev is not present
  • Added that Ron Cordell has already plugged in the codeplex work
    • However, recognized that the codeplex work was not connected to anything
    • Vassil Peytchev was going to hook the codeplex work to his own

Umesh Madan

  • Asked who else from the CSharp team was online
    • No one else
  • Shared that Sean Nolan is very busy with his own work
    • Intermediate trust unit is not complete
    • Umesh Madan plans to work on it if Sean cannot
      • Aims to have done by Friday

Brian Behlendorf

  • Asked if any of the action items had been closed
  • Pointed to action item #13 with respect to John Theisen

John Theisen

  • Responded that he is still waiting on some code from Umesh Madan

Umesh Madan

  • Responded that John Theisen should feel free to write it
    • Commented that anything on top is extra/additional

John Theisen

  • Commented that it would be more possible if the common items are available in interfaces
  • Asked about the pieces that certain companies might have problems with
    • Gave the example of logging frameworks, etc.

Umesh Madan

  • Responded that they should replace what he had as a placeholder
    • Replace with the diagnostics piece

Brian Behlendorf

  • Suggested tracking this as a separate Google code item

John Theisen

  • Chris Lomonico will be in Portland next week
    • They will work on it and put together a proposal

Brian Behlendorf

  • Highlighted action item #19
    • Looking at the issues list
    • Asked if they should conduct before the code-a-thon
      • Next cross-project meeting
  • Reviewed action item #24
    • Noted that Umesh Madan is handling this

Java Update

Beau Grantham

  • Shared that the Java team had shifted focus to the XD* side
    • Greg Meyer was on vacation last week

Vince Lewis

  • Reported that they have end-to-end communication with the XD* side
    • Received assistance from the materials from the GE side
      • Can received XDD or CCD-affiliated formats
      • Can Create XDR metadata or create XDM metadata
    • Were able to test the XD* side
      • Will rebundle XDR to XDM
    • Should be able to go either way
      • SMTP >> XDD
      • XDD >> SMTP
    • Have a skeleton on the XD* side
  • Added that he has been hanging out with the XDD specification group

Arien Malec

  • Commented that if Vassil Peytchev finds himself too busy with his own developer work, the CSharp team may be able to translate Vince Lewis' work towards the CSharp side

Vince Lewis

  • Responded that it may be possible
    • The work he has done is directly from IHE
    • No OHG basics, just has to be generated
    • Not sure how easy it will be for the CSharp team, but his work is as close as possible

Beau Grantham

  • Added that he was able to work it in Apache James
  • Shared that he needs to increase work on the unit tests
    • Clover only said it is at 50%
      • This does NOT include all generated classes
      • With all the generated classes, Clover only reports 6%
    • Currently this is only one-directional
  • Stated that he is working on the JavaDoc
    • Plans to push up to the API website as soon as possible

Pat Pyette

  • Reported on the Web/UI piece
    • Commented that he has forgotten more about Spring and Java than he realized
    • Had initially planned to complete by last week
      • Working to finish it this week

Beau Grantham

  • Responded that Sri Koka and he can help
  • Further added that Greg Meyer is out on vacation
    • The agent piece will be on halt on there until later

Arien Malec

  • Suggested that it may be helpful to get another head on that

Andy Heeren

  • Confirmed that Greg Meyer will in fact not be working on the project for the next two weeks

Beau Grantham

  • Added that Greg Meyer said he would work on the MDN portion the week of September 20th
  • Reported that they have continuance coverage service
  • Noted that the LDAP unit tests have been failing
    • Plans to have this worked out soon
  • Reported that Clover was approved (with respect to action item #20)

Updates Review + Meetings

Arien Malec

  • Stated there is significant progress on both sides
  • Asked: What is missing to get to feature complete?
    • CSharp Team
      • CERT chaining, XDM, XDD
  • Asked Susan Johnston if she could help with that
    • Creating a "feature-tracker" document on the website

Brian Behlendorf

  • Suggested an additional architecture review

Arien Malec

  • Agreed with Brian Behlendorf's idea
    • Suggested possibly next week

Umesh Madan

  • Suggested a XD* side meeting for later this week

Brian Behlendorf

  • Asked about possibly scheduling this for Friday morning

Arien Malec

  • Added that they should schedule the meeting

Brian Behlendorf

  • Suggested holding the meeting at 11am EST on Friday
  • Asked about discussing bite-sized tasks before the Code-a-thon
    • Getting to code-complete
    • Volunteered to take on coder-specific messaging

Arien Malec

  • Liked the idea of a general "hit-/wish-list" for smaller action items for each team
    • CSharp Team - Umesh Madan
    • Java Team - Beau Grantham

Brian Behlendorf

  • Suggested that these would probably not include critical items

Umesh Madan

  • Responded that is debatable

Brian Behlendorf

  • Responded they should maybe list those that are not critical
  • Liked making the code more approachable

Umesh Madan

  • Liked the idea of an extra set of eyes looking at the code

Arien Malec

  • Commented that it is impressive how far they are pushing the code with all volunteers

Umesh Madan

  • Stated its time to get "back to work"
  • Assumed that Greg Meyer's server is still up there

Andy Heeren

  • Responded that he will be there to validate that the messages get across if Umesh Madan needs them

Umesh Madan

  • Responded that he would be checking to see if some messages get through without bouncing
  • Will give Andy Heeren a heads up

Arien Malec

  • Added final comment that he would like to do a demo for Farzad Mostashari

Umesh Madan

  • Responded that he can create a bunch of accounts if okay with the WG