Notes from Reference Implementation Meeting
Date: October 12th
Time: 12:00pm-1:00pm
Attendees: Mark Bamberg, Brian Behlendorf, George Cole, Ron Cordell, Steve Felt, Beau Grantham, Chaminda Gunaratne, Nael Hafez, David Houlding, Tim Jeffcoat, Steve Kehlet, Seonho Kim, Srinivas Koka, Chris Lomonico, Umesh Madan, Arien Malec, Greg Meyer, John Moehrke, Stephen Outten, Vassil Peytchev, Pat Pyette, Paul Saxman, Jas Singh, John Theisen, Andy Thompson, John Williams

Current Actions

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
33
2010/09/07
Prepare a "hit-list" for bite-sized tasks for other developers to taken on
Extended
Umesh Madan
2010/10/26
36
2010/09/14
Review Container proposals from John Theisen & Chris Lomonico
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/09/28
37
2010/09/14
Take on the improvements for the CERT Resolver
Open
Chris Lomonico
2010/09/28
40
2010/09/14
Assemble a proposal to address the IHE v. HL7 audit considerations
Extended
Pat Pyette
2010/10/26
46
2010/10/12
Review the CSharp XD* and Client API Architecture and Plan
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/10/19
47
2010/10/12
Address Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Caching
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/10/19

Actions from Last Week

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
33
2010/09/07
Prepare a "hit-list" for bite-sized tasks for other developers to taken on
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/09/14
35
2010/09/14
Write up bullet points/notes for a developers guide on the logger's library
CLOSED
John Theisen
2010/09/28
36
2010/09/14
Review Container proposals from John Theisen & Chris Lomonico
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/09/28
37
2010/09/14
Take on the improvements for the CERT Resolver
Open
Chris Lomonico
2010/09/28
40
2010/09/14
Assemble a proposal to address the IHE v. HL7 audit considerations
Open
Pat Pyette
2010/09/28
43
2010/10/05
Review Sean Nolan's work on the CERT Chain Builder
CLOSED
Umesh Madan
2010/10/12
44
2010/10/05
Develop a "how to" guide for the usage of the agent as a straight API piece
CLOSED
Greg Meyer
2010/10/12
45
2010/10/05
Coordinate a follow-up CSharp/Java joint strategy meeting for the XD*
CLOSED
Arien Malec, Jas Singh
2010/10/12

Agenda

  1. October Code-a-thon
  2. Java Update
  3. C-Sharp Update
  4. Open Discussion

October Code-a-thon

Brian Behlendorf
Arien Malec
Brian Behlendorf
  • Reviewed logistics for CollabNet
    • Good WiFi
    • LAN connection available
      • Bring Ethernet cables
      • If most want LAN connection, a switch can be arranged

C-Sharp Update

Umesh Madan
  • Reported a moderately busy week on the CSharp side
    • Began holding stand-up calls every other day again
  • Indicated that Arien Malec sent notes from the CSharp XD* meeting from Monday
  • Stated that Chris Lomonico has been working on the DNS portion
    • Should be able to cache now
Chris Lomonico
  • Responded that the cache code is in there now
    • Performing test cases on some of the stuff
Umesh Madan
  • Further indicated that these days he has been more busy
    • Completed intermediary resolution
    • Looking at the CRL revocation stuff
      • Lack of libraries at the native level
      • May not want to do that, will have to assess
Arien Malec
  • Reported that they held a meeting yesterday on the C-Sharp XD* plan
    • Discovered they needed a strategy to bring it all together
    • Had created an object model at a higher level
      • Mapping of it to the XML
      • Developed from the EHR vendor perspective
    • Vassil Peytchev has developed a similar object model, but utilized XML serialization
      • Arien Malec realized it would be easy to translate his code over to Vassil's work
        • Arien Malec will map his object model to Vassil Peytchev's XML serialization ebRIM object model
        • Useful to read/write over the object model
      • Noted that Vassil Peytchev has a little bit of work remaining on his object model
    • George Cole has his own code which can serve as an interface
  • Requested that Umesh Madan review the overall plan:
Umesh Madan
  • Indicated that the next couple days he will be off-site
    • Should be able to take a look at it come Thursday or Friday
Arien Malec
  • Responded that is okay and that the code will be more complete by then
  • Described the key components to the CSharp XD* Architecture
    • Arien Malec - Client API
    • Vassil Peytchev - XDR/Serialization
    • George Cole - XDR/SOAP side
  • Identified remaining work: Writing the package and send components for XDM + SMTP
John Theisen
  • Expressed willingness to help Arien Malec off-line with that
Vassil Peytchev
  • Recommended they look at .NET's J Sharp libary
Arien Malec
  • Indicated that once they get through the first three pieces, then the fourth piece should not be too tough
    • Plans to make progress by Wednesday on the code
Vassil Peytchev
  • Stated he believes this should work
Arien Malec
  • Stated that CSharp is in good shape to meet their objectives
Brian Behlendorf
  • Asked if the XD work would be done by the Code-a-thon/Install-a-thon
Arien Malec
  • Responded that they should be in testing by the Code-a-thon/Install-a-thon
George Cole
  • Indicated that he has to finish his piece by Friday night
    • After that, he will not be able to work on it until October 25th
      • Right before the Code-a-thon/Install-a-thon
Brian Behlendorf
  • Stated desire to encourage developers aiming to use .NET to come to the Code-a-thon/Install-a-thon
Umesh Madan
  • Responded that they should say that anyways
  • Stated that all the major features are essentially set in place
    • Umesh is still working on the CRL caches
Brian Behlendorf
  • Suggested once more having a list of "nice to have, but not critical" items which people can work on during the Code-a-thon
Umesh Madan
  • Indicated it his goal to come to the Code-a-thon/Install-a-thon with the HealthVault
John Theisen
  • Reported that he was able to make the last pieces of the installer functional
    • Still some minor technical issues linger
    • Need to fix the permission issue so that the Config can write out
Chris Lomonico
  • Reported making progress on the work he adopted and willing to move forward

Java Update

Beau Grantham
  • Indicated that his time has been limited since last Thursday
  • Reported on the abstract metadata object model which he worked on
    • Has ability to the translate into the XML serialization
    • First draft has been dropped into the base-line
    • Trying to avoid XD* coding overlap
  • Highlighted that Greg Meyer has done some great documentation for the agent
    • So that developers can use the agent without the gateway
Greg Meyer
  • Reported assembling a guide for developers:
    • Focused on the agent separate from the gateway
      • Code examples
      • Transformations examples
    • Encouraged Direct Project participants to add to it
Beau Grantham
  • Added that was spun mostly from developers who expressed interest in the Java implementation
  • Asked Greg Meyer about his addition to the Config piece
Greg Meyer
  • Indicated that he has been helping Pat Pyette with this
    • Hooking all of that into the gateway
    • Only configurable by XML
    • Hopes to have it setup in the next couple days
Beau Grantham
  • Asked if Greg Meyer would essentially make it a basic module
Greg Meyer
  • Responded that is an alternate way to create it
    • Unlike the C-Sharp, will not make everything go through the configuration service to get certificates and anchors
Umesh Madan
  • Responded that Greg Meyer's statement does not accurately paint the CSharp approach
    • Anchors do not need to be pulled from the agent
    • The intent was to make the reference implementations match
  • Expressed view that regardless, the aforesaid approach will add a greater functionality to the Java side
Greg Meyer
  • Reported that he incorporated an Adobe database
    • Can still be changed variably
    • Adding to the Configuration service
Umesh Madan
  • Commented that it is a good idea to have a memory store for testing
Beau Grantham
  • Asked Tim Jeffcoat and Pat Pyette for updates with regards to the Config piece
Tim Jeffcoat
  • Reported making progress on the UI portion
Pat Pyette
  • Indicate he worked with Arien Malec to pull together some work
Beau Grantham
  • Asked about ATNA audit logging
Pat Pyette
  • Responded that he has been working on ATNA with Vince
  • Recognized that he has an outstanding proposal
    • He has been planning to create a proposal regarding audits
  • Noted that packages are applicable to the client side as well
Beau Grantham
  • Indicated that he will follow-up with Vince Lewis
  • Asked Mark Bamberg about the install scripts
Mark Bamberg
  • Plans to commit code-complete install scripts by the end of the week
    • For the agent and gateway
    • Also a graphical installer
Beau Grantham
  • Indicated that his plan is to utilize the model for the remaining pieces
Arien Malec
  • Asked Java about their progress towards the following goals:
    • Feature-Complete: End of this week
    • Production-Ready: End of month
Beau Grantham
  • Responded that he still believes they are on track for mostly feature-complete by the end of this week
    • Mostly code-complete by the end of the momth

Open Discussion

Brian Behlendorf
  • Suggested reaching to people who are interested in getting involved
  • Highlighted the extra Wednesday morning session
    • Deliberately decided to start at noon PDT on Wednesday to allow those traveling sufficient time
    • However, Brian Behlendorf recognized two potential uses for early Wednesday Meeting
      • Vassil + crew are arriving early to get a head start
      • On-boarding for those not familiar with Direct Project
Arien Malec
  • Stated that it can be a good idea to do a "cold" walk through of the code and specifications
    • Forces the Direct Team to really understand what they are assembling by having to teach others
    • Suggested working with communications WG
  • Recognized that if it takes the group away from the core task, then it is not useful
Brian Behlendorf
  • Expressed agreement
    • If this were to occur, then it would completed prior to the official start at noon
Arien Malec
  • Recognized that a number of people will be coming that morning
Brian Behlendorf
  • Indicated that the Direct Team has the space available all day for both dates
    • Could have breakout rooms as well
Umesh Madan
  • Indicated he will be there the night of October 26th
Greg Meyer
  • Also indicated he will be there the night of October 26th
Beau Grantham
  • Asked if there was any discussion about the address resolver
Arien Malec