Reference Implementation Meeting 2010-08-31

From Direct Project
Jump to: navigation, search
Notes from the Reference Implementation Group
Date: August 31, 2010
Time: 12pm-1pm
Attendees: Dragon Bashyam, Brian Behlendorf, Teresa Black, George Cole, Ron Cordell, Beau Grantham, Chaminda Gunaratne, Neal Hafez, Andy Heeren, Susan Johnston, Steve Kehlet, Seonho Kim, Srinivas Koka, Vince Lewis, Chris Lomonico, Umesh Madan, Arien Malec, Greg Meyer, John Moehrke, Sean Nolan, Stephen Outten, Vassil Peytchev, Patrick Pyette, Claudio Sanchez, Paul Saxman, Jas Singh, Mark Stine, Lin Wan, Rob Wilmot

Current Action Items

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
4
2010/08/18
Create a list of action items to be completed so that coders can be directly plugged into the Java reference implementation coding process
Open
Beau Grantham and Brian Behlendorf
2010/08/24
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
13
2010/08/24
Discuss the container/Spring.NET issue off-line
Open
Umesh Madan, Sean Nolan, Chris Lomonico, John Theisen
2010/08/31
14
2010/08/24
Discuss the centralized configuration server (Address/Universal) issue off-line
Open
Vassil Peytchev, Umesh Madan, Greg Meyer
2010/08/31
19
2010/08/24
Propose a virtual stand-up to address tracking issues on the Wiki
Open
John Theisen
2010/08/31
20
2010/08/31
Discuss 30-day trial software for Java reference implementation as well as requirements for Clover reports
Open
Greg Meyer, Beau Grantham
2010/09/07
21
2010/08/31
Make progress on the XD* side for CSharp/Java teams
Open
Vassil Peytchev, Vince Lewis
2010/09/07
22
2010/08/31
Work on the Web Config component for the Java reference implementation
Open
Pat Pyette
2010/09/07
23
2010/08/31
Discuss the storage components of the "HISP in a Box" model: LDAP store v. machine store
Open
Vince Lewis, Greg Meyer, Umesh Madan
2010/09/07
24
2010/08/31
Discuss the documentation for the CSharp team's Web Config/Console UI component
Open
Claudio Sanchez, Umesh Madan, Arien Malec

25
2010/08/31
Re-announce the September F2F Code-a-thon through a Blog posting
Open
Arien Malec
2010/09/07
26
2010/08/31
Develop criteria for code-readiness for Implementation Geographies
Open
Arien Malec, Susan Johnston
2010/09/07
27
2010/08/31
Hold the CSharp/Java Architecture Review
Open
Umesh Madan, Beau Grantham, Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Sean Nolan, Greg Meyer, Vince Lewis
2010/09/02


Last Weeks Action Items

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
1
2010/08/18
Contribute to a list of bugs at code.google.com (reference implementation)
Closed
Sean Nolan and WG
Recurring
4
2010/08/18
Create a list of action items to be completed so that coders can be directly plugged into the Java reference implementation coding process
Open
Beau Grantham and Brian Behlendorf
2010/08/24
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
7
2010/08/18
Organize the virtual Code-a-thon for late August and assist in collocating efforts
Tabled
Arien Malec and Brian Behlendorf
2010/08/31
9
2010/08/24
Coordinate a "weekly sync" between leads for CSharp + Java teams
Closed
Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham, Umesh Madan
2010/08/31
10
2010/08/24
Organize a meeting to walk threw a "detailed decomposition" of each reference implementation
Closed
Arien Malec, Umesh Madan, Beau Grantham
2010/09/02
11
2010/08/24

Review and comment on Beau Grantham's Reference Implementation Components diagram

Closed
Entire WG
2010/08/31
12
2010/08/24
Discuss PowerShell issue and Sri Koka's offer to work this off-shore
Closed
Umesh Madan and Sri Koka
2010/08/31
13
2010/08/24
Discuss the container/Spring.NET issue off-line
Open
Umesh Madan, Sean Nolan, Chris Lomonico, John Theisen
2010/08/31
14
2010/08/24
Discuss the centralized configuration server (Address/Universal) issue off-line
Open
Vassil Peytchev, Umesh Madan, Greg Meyer
2010/08/31
15
2010/08/24
Raise issue of opening a dialogue between the CSharp Implementation Team and Geographies WG
Closed
Brian Behlendorf, Susan Johnston
2010/08/25
16
2010/08/24
Determine if a third Reference Implementation sub-group concentrating on XD* drawing from both the CSharp + Java teams is necessary (if so, to move forward and create one)
Tabled
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham, Vassil Peytchev
2010/09/07
17
2010/08/24
Coordinate a separate Java meeting to address the XDR to XDM piece
Closed
Vince Lewis, Greg Meyer, Beau Grantham, Brian Behlendorf
2010/08/31
18
2010/08/24
Organize a phone call regarding bounced messages/MDNs
Closed
Arien Malec, Greg Meyer, Sean Nolan, Umesh Madan, Beau Grantham
2010/08/31
19
2010/08/24
Propose a virtual stand-up to address tracking issues on the Wiki
Open
John Theisen
2010/08/31


Notes

Java Team Update

Beau Grantham

  • Reported there were no significant developments on his work

Greg Meyer

  • Commented on the agent side of the Java reference implementation
    • Currently working on the trust components
    • Developing Apache James bridge for the SMTP stack
      • This had been in development before the conversation about bounce issues
        • Adjustments will be made accordingly
      • Greg Meyer and Umesh Madan have been able to successfully pass messages back and forth
    • Also working on documentation through JavaDoc
      • Concentrating on configuration documents along with Beau Grantham
    • Finally, moving forward for LDAP store for certificates

Arien Malec

  • Offer his assistance to Greg Meyer with respect to either API or configuration documentation

Greg Meyer

  • Pointed WG towards [1]
    • This is a Maven site for:
      • Agent Gateways
      • Security and Trust Agent
    • This Maven site includes:
      • Guides and templates
      • A section on the documentation
  • Asked whether this information on the Maven site should be migrated to the NHIN Direct Wiki
    • Further asked if a "Round the Room" was necessary

Arien Malec

  • Deemed a "Round the Room" unnecessary
  • Suggested the following approach moving forward:
    • Keep the class API library on the Maven site
    • Keep the agent on the NHIN Direct Wiki

Beau Grantham

  • Asked for clarification on Greg Meyer's mention of "bounce" messages
    • Questioned if this had anything to do with conversation set for last week

Greg Meyer

  • Clarified that his reference to "bounce" indeed had to do with the conversation last week
  • Shared with the group that he had requested for a 30-day trial for a specific test software for the agent/gateway
    • Can move forward with the open-source one
    • Takes 30 days for the program
  • Further asked what are the requirements for a Clover report
  • Decided to take item off-line with Beau Grantham

Arien Malec

  • Added that he would like to deep-link this into the wiki as well
    • Once complete, aims to link to the documentation page of NHIN Direct

Beau Grantham

  • Continued that Vince Lewis has volunteered to work on the SMTP to XDR to XDM (XD* side)

Vince Lewis

  • Added that he took a week sabbatical, but should start working on this again and aims for completion by tomorrow

Greg Meyer

  • Further added that the Apache James custom matcher has been created

Beau Grantham

  • Recognized that Pat Pyette has volunteered to develop the Web Config component
    • Wants to coordinate with the CSharp team to get their schema
    • Needs to get the SQL server script to the post-gress

Pat Pyette

  • Affirmed Beau Grantham's note
    • Clarified that he has already accessed the CSharp team's schema

Vince Lewis

  • Requested to discuss with Umesh Madan off-line about the storage components in the "HISP in a Box" model
    • The certificates are all pushed into one database

Umesh Madan

  • Responded with the following storage components:
    • Certificate/anchor storage
    • Domain storage
    • Properties storage

Greg Meyer

  • Commented that the Java reference implementation team has taken a more modular approach for storage
    • The database is enough configuration to get you started
    • The certificates may not be in the database
    • The HISP in a Box may just reference to an LDAP store

Umesh Madan

  • Clarified the CSharp reference implementation's storage mechanisms
    • You could have a LDAP store
    • You could have a machine store
  • Decided to take this off-line


CSharp Team Update

Arien Malec

  • Passed the update report to Umesh Madan

Umesh Madan

  • Provided an update of the CSharp reference implementation
    • The Configuration Web/Console UI component is going
      • It can provision CERTs
      • The team can watch the gateway dynamically change
    • MDN-Ack business needs to be resolved
  • Items for this week:
    • Scripts and documentation
      • Asked where further documentation is required
    • More testing and unit testing

Sri Koka

  • Asked where is the public gateway

Umesh Madan

  • Asked Sri Koka to clarify what he meant
    • Umesh Madan is running a certain gateway

Sri Koka

  • Asked if he can access the gateway

Umesh Madan

  • Clarified that the gateway is the SMTP server
    • It is an internal server with SMTP and POP3
    • Decided to take item off-line

Claudio Sanchez

  • Updated that the Config Web/ Console UI Component = 90% of bare-bones done
    • It should be able to tell you have everything you need to run a HISP
      • Includes set-up domains, certificates, trust anchors
    • However, should be able to provide a lot more information
      • Wants to create a "wizard-like" experience to creating domains, etc.
  • Recognized that Arien Malec has mentioned the need for documentation
    • Asked how the CSharp team should coordinate the documentation

Umesh Madan

  • Determined this should be discussed off-line

Chris Lomonico

  • Added that the caching work for the CSharp reference implementation is essentially complete
    • Working around the asynchronous stuff
    • Wrapping up the final unit testing, should be done today

Vassil Peytchev

  • Identified that not much progress was made last week on the XD* side of the reference implementation
    • Currently working on the incoming service and sending piece
    • Getting the XDR to XDM switch
  • Plans to register some commits this week into the XD* side

Arien Malec

  • Plans to build the documentation manually tonight
    • Almost got closed on documenting the common libraries until Umesh entered more code
    • Working on DNS among other things, hoping going to have this done tonight
  • Stressed that "high quality documentation" is the key to making NHIN Direct accessible to HIT developers

Umesh Madan

  • Thanked Arien Malec for essentially conducting a default code review through the thorough documentation

Setting Key Milestones

Arien Malec

  • Asserted that they are nearing "feature-complete" on the CSharp side

Umesh Madan

  • Agreed with Arien Malec
  • However, identified some key outliers
    • Sean Nolan is working on the chain-builder side
    • Umesh Madan is working on the DNS responder

Arien Malec

  • Further added that both the CSharp and Java teams have some progress to make
    • Both sides are working on the XDD side
      • Moving a little slower
      • Would like to shift some focus to the XD* arc
  • Aims for a cross-project "feature-complete" state for the reference implementations
    • Target: Entering the Connect-a-thon
    • Asked the precise date of the Connect-a-thon

Brian Behlendorf

  • Introduced his presence to the WG
  • Responded that the dates are September 21st and 22nd
    • Will be collocated with the NHIN Connect Code-a-thon in Rochester, Minnesota
    • NHIN Connect are the true hosts for the event
    • Asked reference implementation WG members to Register for the September Code-a-thon

Arien Malec

  • Aims to re-announce the September F2F Code-a-thon through a blog posting
  • Discussed the goals for the WG's position by that point in time
    • Wants a beta-ready checklist
    • Key Goal: Get the 3-4 arcs done
      • SMTP/Gateway
      • Configuration
      • XDR Piece
      • XDM Piece
    • Aims for this to be completed going into the September F2F Code-a-thon

Round the Room on Attendance for Sept. F2F Code-a-thon

Summary

  • Will attend: 4
    • Seonho Kim
    • Steve Kehlet
    • Arien Malec
    • Chris Lomonico
  • Likely to attend: 4
    • Stephen Outten
    • Beau Grantham
    • Dragon Bashyam
    • Sri Koka
  • May attend: 5
    • Claudio Sanchez
    • John Moehrke
    • Paul Saxman
    • Vince Lewis
    • Chaminda Gunaratne
  • Will not attend: 9
    • Brian Behlendorf
    • Teresa Black
    • George Cole
    • Lin Wan
    • Greg Meyer
    • Vassil Peytchev
    • Nael Hafez
    • Umesh Madan
    • Ron Cordell


Teresa Black

  • Will not be able to attend

George Cole

  • Will not be able to attend

Lin Wan

  • Will not be able to attend

Greg Meyer

  • Will not be able to attend

Stephen Outten

  • Likely to attend/have representation
    • Wanting to send someone
    • Looking into an internal resource

Vassil Peytchev

  • Will not be able to attend

Claudio Sanchez

  • May attend
    • Wants to attend, but still working the logistics
    • Cannot commit right now

John Moehrke

  • May attend
    • Not planning to attend
    • Exploring the possibility

Paul Saxman

  • May attend
    • Indicated he would like to go

Susan Johnston

  • No response

Beau Grantham

  • Likely to attend
    • Not 100% yet but probably will attend

Dragon Bashyam

  • Likely to attend

Pat Pyette

  • May attend
    • It is a lot easier to attend based on the location
    • Will have an answer in a day or two

Nael Hafez

  • Will not be able to attend

Vince Lewis

  • May Attend
    • Hopes to make it to the Code-a-thon

Seonho Kim

  • Will attend
    • Will be bringing members from his development team

Mark Stine

  • No response

Umesh Madan

  • Will not be able to attend
    • Will check with Sean Nolan
      • Sean was thinking about it
  • Umesh Madan clarified that he will be on vacation at the end of September

Chris Lomonico

  • Motioned to change the date

Umesh Madan

  • Recognized the need for a code-a-thon in October
    • Would like a Setup-a-thon essentially
      • The two teams would hammer messages at each other and check for all potential bugs/errors

Steve Kehlet

  • Will attend
    • Checked with his team during the call

Arien Malec

  • Will attend

Ron Cordell

  • Will not be able to attend

Chaminda Gunaratne

  • May attend

Sri Koka

  • Likely to attend
    • Recognized that September is a busy month

Chris Lomonico

  • Will attend


Round the Room on meeting "Feature-Ready" state by September F2F Code-a-thon

Teresa Black

  • No comment

George Cole

  • No comment

Lin Wan

  • No comment

Greg Meyer

  • Believes the agent piece will be feature ready
  • Uncertain about the configuration components

Stephen Outten

  • No comment

Vassil Peytchev

  • Believes the XD* side will probably not be ready
  • Asked about SMTP with s/MIME

Claudio Sanchez

  • Umesh Madan recognized that Claudio Sanchez had to step out
  • Expressed Claudio Sanchez's view that the admin work will certainly be done

John Moehrke

  • No response

Paul Saxman

  • No comment

Susan Johnston

  • No comment

Beau Grantham

  • Believes the expected milestone is reasonable

Dragon Bashyam

  • No comment

Pat Pyette

  • Believes the expected milestone is reasonable

Nael Hafez

  • No Comment

Vince Lewis

  • Agrees with Beau Grantham that the expected milestone is reasonable
    • Qualifies that this is contingent on the completion of the XD* side

Seonho Kim

  • No comment

Mark Stine

  • No response

Umesh Madan

  • Expressed support for this milestone
    • "Certainly going to try"
    • Totally reasonable
    • Wants to set it up w/ MSI as well

Steve Kehlet

  • No response

Arien Malec

  • (Initiated "Round the Room")
  • Asked Vassil Peytchev if an expectation of the first week of October is reasonable?

Vassil Peytchev

  • Responded that October is reasonable
    • However there is an HL7 meeting the first week of October
    • Believes that the second week of October is more reasonable

Ron Cordell

  • No comment

Chaminda Gunaratne

  • No comment

Sri Koka

  • No comment

Chris Lomonico

  • Believes the expected milestone is reasonable
    • Aims to meet the goal


Key Steps Moving Ahead

Arien Malec

  • Reviewed the "Round the Room"
    • Will work with Susan Johnston to develop criteria for when the code will be ready for the implementation geographies
    • Recognized that if critical mass is not achieved for the Connect-a-thon, then they will look to early October
  • Turned over to Brian Behlendorf

Brian Behlendorf

  • Proposed opening NHIN Direct to other review outlets
    • Would like to get the code to a level of self-starting so that developers can plug-in
    • Would like to do it sooner rather than later

Beau Grantham

  • Expressed view that Brian Behlendorf's suggestion is good in terms of the virtual sprint

Umesh Madan

  • Responded that ultimately timing is the question
    • Asked Brian Behlendorf if he was thinking about writing blog entries on Slashdot?
      • With a few key direct URLs

Brian Behlendorf

  • Explained that he is trying to stoke some interest into NHIN Direct from developers
    • Tap into a sense of volunteerism
    • These folk will likely have little background in Health IT
      • However they may be interested in Health IT
      • Plenty of jobs coming up for HIT developers - might peak interest
    • Wants to hit two or three places to solicit interest

Umesh Madan

  • Suggested waiting until the reference implementations are "feature-complete"
    • Would be more useful to have clean-cut code
    • Would be more useful with quality documentation complete
  • Believes it might be a little more distracting
    • Asked to push it off

Arien Malec

  • Suggested they would prefer an actionable hit list when they take such a step

Sri Koka

  • Commented that the WG needs to help people to help the WG

Umesh Madan

  • Responded that Sri Koka is correct
    • However, by September it should be a lot easier to get plugged into the endeavor
  • Asked Greg Meyer if he is around later this week
    • Aims to do MySys swaps on Thursday

Greg Meyer

  • Accepted Umesh Madan's request
    • Last time you can catch me for two weeks

Arien Malec

  • Reminded WG that they planned to complete a CSharp and Java Architecture Review
    • Asked Umesh Madan and Beau Grantham to lead the review
    • Asked to take place circa 8:00-8:30am PST
    • Asked to CC Jas Singh and Uvinie Hettiaratchy on the e-mails/invite
  • Recognized that Thursday morning would be the best option