Reference Implementation Meeting 2010-09-28

From Direct Project
Jump to: navigation, search
Notes from Reference Implementation Meeting
Date: September 28, 2010
Time: 12pm-1pm
Attendees: Mark Bamberg, Yvan Charpentier, George Cole, Ron Cordell, Beau Grantham, Chaminda Gunaratne, Dave Juntgen, Steve Kehlet, Seonho Kim, Srinivas Koka, Chris Lomonico, Arien Malec, Sean Nolan, Jas Singh, John Theisen, John Williams

Current Actions

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
33
2010/09/07
Prepare a "hit-list" for bite-sized tasks for other developers to taken on
Extended
Umesh Madan
2010/09/14
35
2010/09/14
Write up bullet points/notes for a developers guide on the logger's library
Open
John Theisen
2010/09/28
36
2010/09/14
Review Container proposals from John Theisen & Chris Lomonico
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/09/28
37
2010/09/14
Take on the improvements for the CERT Resolver
Open
Chris Lomonico
2010/09/28
40
2010/09/14
Assemble a proposal to address the IHE v. HL7 audit considerations
Open
Pat Pyette
2010/09/28
41
2010/09/28
Develop OSX + Windows install pieces
Open
Mark Bamberg
2010/10/05
42
2010/09/28
Coordinate a CSharp/Java joint strategy meeting for the XD* side
Open
Arien Malec, Jas Singh
2010/10/05


Actions from Two Weeks Ago

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
14
2010/08/24
Discuss the centralized configuration server (Address/Universal) issue off-line
CLOSED
Vassil Peytchev, Umesh Madan, Greg Meyer
2010/08/31
23
2010/08/31
Discuss the storage components of the "HISP in a Box" model: LDAP store v. machine store
CLOSED
Vince Lewis, Greg Meyer, Umesh Madan
2010/09/07
26
2010/08/31
Develop criteria for code-readiness for Implementation Geographies
TABLED
Susan Johnston
2010/09/07
29
2010/09/07
Complete CSharp's intermediate trust unit
CLOSED
Umesh Madan, Sean Nolan
2010/09/14
31
2010/09/07
Create a "feature-tracker" document on the website to keep the Geographies updated on the CSharp+Java reference implementations
TABLED
Susan Johnston
2010/09/14
32
2010/09/07
Coordinate an additional CSharp/Java architecture review for Thursday
TABLED
Umesh Madan, Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf
2010/09/14
33
2010/09/07
Prepare a "hit-list" for bite-sized tasks for other developers to taken on
Extended
Umesh Madan
2010/09/14
34
2010/09/07
Develop coder-specific messaging to plug-in outside developers into the "hit-lists"
CLOSED
Brian Behlendorf
2010/09/14
35
2010/09/14
Write up bullet points/notes for a developers guide on the logger's library
Open
John Theisen
2010/09/28
36
2010/09/14
Review Container proposals from John Theisen & Chris Lomonico
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/09/28
37
2010/09/14
Take on the improvements for the CERT Resolver
Open
Chris Lomonico
2010/09/28
38
2010/09/14
Send XD* side code plus work items to Arien Malec + Sri Koka
CLOSED
Vassil Peytchev
2010/09/17
39
2010/09/14
Submit availabilities for October Integrate-a-thon through the Wiki registration link (created by Arien)
CLOSED
Entire WG
2010/09/21
40
2010/09/14
Assemble a proposal to address the IHE v. HL7 audit considerations
Open
Pat Pyette
2010/09/28


Agenda

  1. Java Update
  2. CSharp Update
  3. Open Discussion


Java Update

Beau Grantham

  • Reported on the Direct code-a-thon (at the NHIN Connect-a-thon)
    • Found very helpful
      • Was able to plug-in coders into the Java side
    • Walked through the Apache James' gateway and bridge
  • Mark Bamberg from NHIT is helping with the install piece
    • Passed it over to Mark Bamberg

Mark Bamberg

  • Finished the Linux component of the install piece
    • Simple read-me from the Maven
    • Demand scripts built at the Code-a-thon
    • Beau Grantham will be reviewing it later

Arien Malec

  • Suggested that Mark Bamberg also get it running on OS10 and Windows
    • It would be great to have all three for the installer

Mark Bamberg

  • Responded that he has access to all three so it should be no problem

Beau Grantham

  • Noted that Greg Meyer brought in the MDN piece
    • This was the last major piece missing from the agent side
  • Stated that Pat Pyette has checked in the UI portion
    • Not yet fully-functional
    • Pat Pyette is not extremely familiar with that so he has someone else helping him out as his firm
  • Recognized that ~30 unit tests have taken place for the service layer
  • Added that Vince Lewis is addressing ATNA audit logging
    • This is primarily for the XD portion
    • Will eventually be brought elsewhere

Arien Malec

  • Recognized that ATNA is just a specific format for audit logging
    • Need the ability to stream that to a remote location

Beau Grantham

  • Added that they are using an Apache common to log-in

Arien Malec

  • Responded that they should be able to screen audit events in that layer

Sri Koka

  • Commented that they need to have both:
    • ATNA logging
    • External logging

Arien Malec

  • Responded that they simply need an audit framework and the ability to place add-ins on top
    • Need to make sure they are not dependent on any specific format/type

Seonho Kim

  • Commented that they probably need record repositories

Arien Malec

  • Responded that seems a little bit like scope creep
    • Depends if someone wants to contribute that
    • Not sure if it is necessary, but welcomes the contribution

Chaminda Gunaratne

  • Reminded the group of a number of change proposals
    • Sri Koka had asked about this

John Williams

  • Introduced himself from Garden State Health Systems
  • Asked for clarification about the change proposals

Sri Koka

  • Responded that if they are using ATNA audit logs, then:
    • Need to keep in mind the ATNA syslog protocol
    • Requires the use of TLS

Arien Malec

  • Asked that this conversation moved off-line

Beau Grantham

  • Shared final point that they are re-factoring some of the XD code
    • Not tying people to what they have in the reference implementation
      • Bridge in a separate package
      • XD* permutations in a separate unit
        • Beau Grantham checked in some code
        • Aims to have done between today and tomorrow
      • They have two XD packages

Arien Malec

  • Asked about Java's road to feature-complete

Beau Grantham

  • Responded that the Java reference implementation is nearly feature-complete
    • Recognized that the Java team may have missed the mark on the LDAP section
      • Had a conversation with John Moehrke that led to this realization
    • Waiting on the completed install/set-up piece from Mark Bamberg
  • Identified that their completion target may be pushed out a week or so


CSharp Update

Sean Nolan

  • Reported that there was not too much action on the CSharp front
    • Shared that he had completed the certificate chain management work
  • However, stated that he believes the CSharp reference implementation is in relatively good shape
    • Biggest gap for CSharp side: Web Config/UI Console piece
      • Waiting on Claudio Sanchez, who unfortunately has been stolen by his real work
    • Emphasized that a SMTP-based pilot would be still able to install and set-up a CSharp reference implementation

John Theisen

  • Shared that he too has been distracted by his regular job
  • Identified that he still managed to pushed his changes up from last week

Sean Nolan

  • Decided to hold an off-line discussion on the hook for the logging
    • Allow others to pick and choose
  • Suggested to start a discussion on the Wiki about what the API will look like

John Theisen

  • Stated that the installer (64 bit) is fully functional
    • However this is excluding the Config portion
  • Also shared that he put the "MSBuild" file in the repository (a BAT file)
    • Should simplify the coding process for those familiar with MSBuild

Chris Lomonico

  • Had a couple of questions for Sean Nolan which he decided to take off-line
    • Would touch base that night

John Theisen

  • Suggested going off-line for a discussion about his work as well

Arien Malec

  • Addressed CSharp's road to feature-complete
    • SMTP side is feature complete
      • MDNs works
      • CERT chaining work is going up
    • XD* Side
      • No one has jumped into it yet
      • Shared that he has been working on a sideline XD* project
        • Takes XD metadata and brings it into XML
        • Happy to check that stuff in
        • Noted that it may be simple enough to translate to XDM, but not sure about XDD
      • Stated he would check that in today

Sri Koka

  • Stated there are two ways to utilize the Java code for CSharp's XD* side
    • Tough to bring the XD* code from Java to the .NET side
  • Questioned about the Codeplex materials as well

Arien Malec

  • Suggested a strategy session for the XD* side for the CSharp reference implementation
  • Asked Sean Nolan if he knew about the Codeplex materials which Sri Koka was referring to

Sean Nolan

  • Responded that he was able to contact one of the original uploaders
    • That person was not familiar with the actual code/process, came from a while back

Sri Koka

  • Added that it was from a company based out of India that developed those materials

Arien Malec

  • Asked Beau Grantham for a clarification about the XD* piece on the Java side
    • Believed that it only addressed a portion of the process

Beau Grantham

  • Responded that is the case indeed
    • It does the mapping and cross-tracking
    • It does not do what Arien Malec's sideline XD* project does

Arien Malec

  • Asserted therefore that the two options can exist in parallel
    • Can take the Java code towards the .NET reference implementation
    • Can take Arien Malec's code toward the Java reference implementation
  • Suggested a cross CSharp/Java call
    • Asked Jas Singh to coordinate this call

Jas Singh

  • Responded that he would coordinate the call
  • Asked for the best method to organize the call

Arien Malec

  • Asked Jas Singh to e-mail the following:
    • Arien Malec
    • Beau Grantham
    • Vince Lewis
    • Sri Koka
    • George Cole
    • Ron Cordell


Summary

Arien Malec

  • Highlighted the project timelines for the Implementation Geographies
    • A number of pilots want to begin "petal-to-the-metal" testing in November
    • Most pilots aim to "go live" by late December or early January
  • Suggested target dates for Reference Implementation completion to match the pilots' expectations
    • Should be feature-complete by the end of this month (September)
    • Should be code-complete by the end of next month (October)
  • Addressed the proposed Install-a-thon/Setup-a-thon
    • Noted that the end of October looks good for most
      • Suggested Wed. October 27th and Thur. October 28th
        • Recognized that one of the dates does not work for Beau Grantham

Beau Grantham

  • Responded that he will try to make it, but has to check first

Arien Malec

  • Noticed that neither Umesh Madan or Sean Nolan had responded as well

Sean Nolan

  • Assured Arien Malec that either himself or Umesh Madan would be able to attend

Mark Bamberg

  • Shared that he would not be able to make the 27th, but should be able to make the 28th

Arien Malec

  • Shared final point that he would like to have the technical/integration partners of the pilots present during this proposed Install-a-thon/Setup-a-thon
    • Especially for the pilots aiming to start testing and installing in November


Round the Room

Arien Malec

  • Question: Does a Code-a-thon/Setup-a-thon set for October 27-28 work? (Summary follows)
    • Yes: 8
    • No: 1
    • No Comment: 3

George Cole

  • Responded yes

John Williams

  • No comment

Beau Grantham

  • Responded yes
    • Pending his availability - needs to check

John Theisen

  • Responded yes

Dave Juntgen

  • Responded yes

Seonho Kim

  • Responded yes

Sean Nolan

  • Responded yes

Steve Kehlet

  • No comment

Yvan Charpentier

  • No comment

Ron Cordell

  • Responded yes

Chaminda Gunaratne

  • No comment
    • Does not think that Siemens would be able make it

Chris Lomonico

  • Responded yes

Mark Bamberg

  • Responded no
    • However, should be able to make it on the 28th


Open Discussion

Sean Nolan

  • Thanked Beau Grantham for his help with respect to the Chain Builder on the certificate side
    • Plans to check that code in tonight

Beau Grantham

  • Responded that he will be looking at that work to complete a similar piece on the Java
    • Waiting on Sean Nolan to check-in that piece

Arien Malec

  • Recognized how there is essentially one overall reference implementation
    • One reference implementation team develops a piece, and then that "see-saws" over to the other reference implementation team
      • Has happened in both directions
    • Believes this is a good and healthy development