Reference Implementation Meeting 2010-10-19

From Direct Project
Jump to: navigation, search
Notes from Reference Implementation Meeting
Date: October 19, 2010
Time: 12:00pm-1:00pm EDT
Attendees: Ron Cordell, Chris Harris, Tim Jeffcoat, Sri Koka, Vince Lewis, Chris Lomonico, Umesh Madan, Arien Malec, Greg Meyer, Stephen Outten, Vassil Peytchev, Pat Pyette, Jas Singh, John Theisen, Andy Thompson

Current Actions

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
33
2010/09/07
Prepare a "hit-list" for bite-sized tasks for other developers to taken on
Extended
Umesh Madan
2010/10/26
36
2010/09/14
Review Container proposals from John Theisen & Chris Lomonico
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/09/28
37
2010/09/14
Take on the improvements for the CERT Resolver
Open
Chris Lomonico
2010/09/28
40
2010/09/14
Assemble a proposal to address the IHE v. HL7 audit considerations
Extended
Pat Pyette
2010/10/26
48
2010/10/19
Hold Greg Meyer's suggested off-line discussion around documentation for the Config
Open
Greg Meyer, Pat Pyette, Tim Houlding
2010/10/26
49
2010/10/19
Write up description of how to link/route domains to incorporate GoDaddy
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/10/21
50
2010/10/19

Publish HISP-focused approach to Direct Project October Face-to-Face Meeting

Open
Arien Malec
2010/10/26


Actions from Last Week

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
33
2010/09/07
Prepare a "hit-list" for bite-sized tasks for other developers to taken on
Extended
Umesh Madan
2010/10/26
36
2010/09/14
Review Container proposals from John Theisen & Chris Lomonico
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/09/28
37
2010/09/14
Take on the improvements for the CERT Resolver
Open
Chris Lomonico
2010/09/28
40
2010/09/14
Assemble a proposal to address the IHE v. HL7 audit considerations
Extended
Pat Pyette
2010/10/26
46
2010/10/12

Review the CSharp XD* and Client API Architecture and Plan

CLOSED
Umesh Madan
2010/10/19
47
2010/10/12
Address Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Caching
CLOSED
Umesh Madan
2010/10/19


Agenda

  1. CSharp Update
  2. Java Update
  3. Open Discussion


CSharp Update

Umesh Madan

  • Reported that the CSharp team has made some progress on connecting the DNS responder to the Configuration service

Chris Lomonico

  • Indicated that he is currently seventy-five percent complete with the Configuration service

Umesh Madan

  • Provided general update for CSharp team:
    • Arien Malec has been busy with XDS
    • John Theisen came up with a proposal for necessary namespace changes
      • Removal of NHIN references
    • Indicated that the CRL validation was completed last week
  • Shared that he has personally been focusing on HealthVault in order to test at the Code-a-thon
  • Passed on to the rest of the CSharp team

Arien Malec

  • Reported that not much has developed on the XD* side
  • Indicated that a general strategy has been developed
  • Stated that he is currently mapping the high-level metadata object model to Vassil Peytchev's metadata model
  • Asked if either Vassil Peytchev or George Cole had any updates

Vassil Peytchev

  • Responded that he has no update to share
    • Will see what he can do moving forward

Arien Malec

  • Asked John Theisen to speak about the namespace changes

John Theisen

  • Indicated that his proposal is a strategy to remove NHIN from the various spaces
    • New namespace = help.direct.(component)
      • Most people can get around that
    • Settled on have the assembly names follow from the namespace
      • Basic stuff there
  • Stated that they have prioritized other work to after completing these initial steps
    • Ex: Moving some of the code around
  • Therefore suggested a code-freeze this Thursday to Friday to prevent any collisions
    • Rationale: have this completed prior to next week's Code-a-thon

Arien Malec

  • Indicated that this has not been discussed on the Java side
    • Suggested the Java team consider a namespace change as well


Java Update

Arien Malec

  • Recognized that Beau Grantham is not on the call
  • Asked Greg Meyer provide the Java update

Greg Meyer

  • Indicated that Beau Grantham had sent out an update
    • Configuration Side
      • Filled out 70%-80% of the stubs
      • Trying to finish the addressing service and pull into the UI
      • The code for this was checked in yesterday (validated by team)
      • Goal is to get a centralized configuration in the long-term
    • XD Side
      • Passed over to Vince Lewis

Vince Lewis

  • Reported that he is in the process of adding the audit piece (ATNA)
    • To write to a file
    • Pull out a VSB
  • Added that he is working on the optimal configuration piece for the XD* side
    • Should be up today

Arien Malec

  • Commented that he has been measuring the number of lines of code that have been uploaded on each side
    • The Java team has been incredibly productive of recent
    • The Java team is pretty close to having a "unit test to lines of code" ratio of 1
      • A ratio of 1 is the general best practice for coding
      • Indicates that the code the Java team is checking in is also of quality

Greg Meyer

  • Asked Pat Pyette to provide an update for the UI Console

Pat Pyette

  • Reported there was nothing to add for the UI (for the client)
    • Shared that he has personally been really busy
    • Wants to get this going soon

Greg Meyer

  • Added that he has been cleaning up the Java build where possible
    • Found the root cause for many issues with the Java build
    • Five or six independent machines working fine now
  • Recognized that Mark Bamberg was not on the call
    • No new recent commits towards the installer
    • The install scripts will be worked on through this week
  • Further recognized that Michael Firriolo has been doing great work on the Java testing
    • Michael Firriolo has been offering suggestions for documentation where it is lacking
  • Commented that the Java team in general is moving forward
    • The Java team checked in a lot of code last week

Arien Malec

  • Asked Pat Pyette if the Java team was considering a similar namespace change

Pat Pyette

  • Responded not at this time
  • Added that the Configuration is mostly complete aside "settings" related issues

Greg Meyer

  • Added that he had to make a quick change to the Java code (not checked in yet)
    • Found another conflict around a couple of annotations regarding Java 6
  • Suggested holding an off-line discussion around some of the documentation for the Config
    • Suggested parties: Tim Houlding, Pat Pyette and Greg Meyer


Open Discussion

Approach for October Code-a-thon/Installathon
Arien Malec

  • Stated he would like to discuss what they WG wants to accomplish next week
  • Highlighted an exercise completed at the CONNECT Code-a-thon
    • Completed a walk-through of the development of the Java Configuration
  • Suggested conducting a similar exercise at this Code-a-thon for a HISP
    • Requires everyone to come in with their own domain
      • Everyone sets up their domains
      • Then they get parallel configurations of those domains
        • Goal: achieving interoperability
    • Suggested this as the organization model for next week
      • To the extent that they have an exercise for getting a HISP up-and-running
  • Solicited input from Greg Meyer and Umesh Madan as development team leads first

Greg Meyer

  • Asked if these are going to be public domains or in the internal network

Arien Malec

  • Responded that he initially thought public domains
    • Could only do in-network if too much of a problem

Greg Meyer

  • Asked if public domains can do certificate resolution
    • Commented that a number of them use GoDaddy to host their domains

Arien Malec

  • Recognized that GoDaddy does not allow NS records to be pointed
    • GoDaddy does not allow other components to be hosted by someone else
  • Recognized that DNS does work with public domains
    • Suggested looking at the domain hosting services that allow you to actually do that
  • Highlighted the Best Practices WG document for Certificates
    • The document suggests using a special purposes domain
      • Point all of that over to whoever is managing the certificate
  • Stated these are exactly the types of things we should blow through prior to and during the Code-a-thon
    • Key lessons that need to be learned early
    • Can then publish an "operational best practices"

Umesh Madan

  • Suggested they can also use a "dummy" domain as well
    • HealthVault is doing something similar
    • Used GoDaddy to point NS records to his DNS box
      • Thats the extent to which he would use GoDaddy

Greg Meyer

  • Commented that a step through will be very useful

Arien Malec

  • Asked Umesh Madan to further clarify

Umesh Madan

  • Responded that he created two domains
    • HSDincubator.com
      • Two NS files
        • Intro file hosted in GoDaddy
        • The files in GoDaddy are pointed to his main domain through .info
      • Still need a place to host an address record
    • HSDincubator.info

Arien Malec

  • Exactly the type of records they need to keep track of these

Greg Meyer

  • Asked if someone could write up what Umesh Madan just shared

Umesh Madan

  • Stated that he would try to get this written up by Thursday morning
  • Nice thing is that it won't take to long to get this up and running
    • TLLs take 30 minutes

Greg Meyer

  • Turned to a different point
    • He may look for some documentation for tiny-DNS
  • Asked if Brian Behlendorf was on the call
    • Recognized that Brian Behlendorf was not on the call
    • Commented that he had asked him for some of the aforesaid documentation

Umesh Madan

  • Commented that using BIND could be as well simple
    • Just has to write out somethings manually

Greg Meyer

  • Responded that tiny-DNS may actually be simpler than BIND-9

Umesh Madan

  • Agreed that in the long-term that makes sense

Greg Meyer

  • Asked if they are going to have a public certificate authority exchange
    • Will there be a repository for public certificates?

Arien Malec

  • Responded that is a great idea
  • Recognized that Brett Peterson is not on the call
    • Suggested that maybe VisionShare can be one of the Certificate Authorities (CAs)
    • Suggested that one of them can also be one as an SSL

Greg Meyer

  • Commented that he is trying to use as many public CAs as possible
    • Pushing them to the Java code repository
    • Might be useful for people to choose there

Umesh Madan

  • Added that Greg Meyer could create a folder to store certificates through Mercurial

Arien Malec

  • Responded that it is a sound idea

Greg Meyer

  • Indicated that is possible

Umesh Madan

  • Commented he could set it up under NHIN-D
    • Could also put CERTs and anchors there

Greg Meyer

  • Responded it is not a bad idea to put public certificates in such a folder for the Code-a-thon
    • Could also use for testing in general

Umesh Madan

  • Stated that he is automating some of the exchanging information long-term

Arien Malec

  • Indicated there has been a common question
    • "I have my existing exchange infrastructure..."
    • "How do we bridge this to the Direct Project?"

Umesh Madan

  • Responded they can definitely do that
  • Believed the answer should be easy
    • Run it as a gateway
    • Do not virtually have to do anything

Arien Malec

  • Responded that many also state that their exchange infrastructure is hardened
    • "Can I still connect to Direct?"

Umesh Madan

  • Indicated that they look quite similar
    • Could basically hook yourself
    • Pass the rest to the NHIN-D agent
  • Stated that he may need to look at the actual infrastructure
    • Will not be able to look before the Code-a-thon/Install-a-thon
    • Suggested that someone try writing a hook themselves
      • It is DLL so you can load it

Greg Meyer

  • Java side has a book covering some of the materials
    • Said book could also cover such a topic

Arien Malec

  • Shared that this particular question is coming from the VA

Umesh Madan

  • Commented that they are formed in terms of gateways
    • Their internal boxes are not looking to the outside world
  • Indicated it is something worth exploring at the Code-a-thon if some prior work is completed


Round on Proposed Approach for Code-a-thon
Arien Malec

  • Suggested that they continue with a round on his suggested approach for the Code-a-thon
    • Approach
      • Developers come with a registered domain
        • Would like to use public domains
      • Go through the exercise of configuring a HISP that can serve that domain
      • Understanding the process of developing interoperable systems
    • Reference Implementation WG
      • Can you help others do that?
      • Or work as an implementer?
    • Summary for Approach: 10 Yes, 0 No, 3 Abstain

Stephen Outten

  • Attending: Kris Olberg (Emdeon)
  • Approach: Yes
  • Role: No comment

Vassil Peytchev

  • Attending: Vassil Peytchev, Janet Campbell & Peter DeVault (Epic)
  • Approach: Yes
  • Role: No comment

Tim Jeffcoat

  • Attending: No (Inpriva)
  • Approach: Yes
  • Role: Not attending

Pat Pyette

  • Attending: No (Inpriva)
  • Approach: Yes
  • Role: Not attending

Arien Malec

  • Stated their goal is to go deep in the code base

John Theisen

  • Attending: John Theisen (Kryptiq)
  • Approach: Yes
  • Role: Deciding between standing-up a HISP or helping others

Vince Lewis

  • Attending: Vince Lewis (MedAllies)
  • Approach: Yes
  • Role: Deciding between standing-up a HISP or just assist others

Chris Harris

  • Attending: No (NextGen)
  • Approach: No comment
  • Role: Not attending

Ron Cordell

  • Attending: Ron Cordell (RelayHealth)
  • Approach: No comment (Had left the call)
  • Role: No comment (Had left the call)

Chris Lomonico

  • Attending: Chris Lomonico (Surescripts)
  • Approach: Yes
  • Role: Uncertain, possibly just assist others

Sri Koka

  • Attending: Sri Koka (Techsant Technologies)
  • Approach: Yes
  • Role: Bringing his own machines and assist others

Andy Thompson

  • Attending: No (HP)
  • Approach: No comment
  • Role: Not attending

Greg Meyer

  • Attending: Greg Meyer & Rob Wilmot (Cerner)
  • Approach: Yes
  • Role: Uncertain, possibly just assist others

Arien Malec

  • Indicated that he will publish this approach to the Wiki
    • Example:
      • Inside network = here is what to bring...
      • Outside network = here is what to bring...
    • Will ask other people to help fill this out afterward
    • Will bring to the attention of the Implementation Geographies WG

Sri Koka

  • Asked how many machines will be sufficient

Arien Malec

  • Responded that Sri Koka needs a machine that has a stable IP address
    • Ex. Amazon EC2 instance
  • Added that Sri Koka might need two instances up-and-running
    • Special circumstances if you are using Windows Box
    • Ex. - Can't use Windows 7