Reference Implementation Meeting 2010-11-02

From Direct Project
Jump to: navigation, search
Status of Notes: DRAFT
Date: November 2, 2010
Time: 12:00pm-1:00pm EDT
Attendees: Mark Bamberg, Brian Behlendorf, Teresa Black, George Cole, Ron Cordell, Michael Firriolo, Beau Grantham, Chaminda Gunaratne, Andy Heeren, Tim Jeffcoat, Steve Kehlet, Sri Koka, Chris Lomonico, Umesh Madan, Arien Malec, Greg Meyer, John Moehrke, Stephen Outten, Vassil Peytchev, Jas Singh, Lin Wan, John Williams, Rob Wilmot, Jeremy (InterSystems)

Current Actions

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
33
2010/09/07
Prepare a "hit-list" for bite-sized tasks for other developers to taken on
Extended
Umesh Madan
2010/10/26
36
2010/09/14
Review Container proposals from John Theisen & Chris Lomonico
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/09/28
37
2010/09/14
Take on the improvements for the CERT Resolver
Open
Chris Lomonico
2010/09/28
40
2010/09/14
Assemble a proposal to address the IHE v. HL7 audit considerations
Extended
Pat Pyette
2010/10/26
48
2010/10/19
Hold Greg Meyer's suggested off-line discussion around documentation for the Config
Open
Greg Meyer, Pat Pyette, Tim Houlding
2010/10/26
51
2010/11/02
Develop a Road to Code Complete for the CSharp Reference Implementation
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/11/09
52
2010/11/02
Prepare CSharp/Java plans for completing their 1.0 releases and next steps
Open
Umesh Madan, Beau Grantham, Greg Meyer, Arien Malec
2010/11/09


Actions from Two Week's Ago

#
Date
Action
Status
Owner
Due Date
6
2010/08/18
Prepare for virtual sprint to on-board new coders and plug them into projects
Open
Arien Malec, Brian Behlendorf, Beau Grantham
2010/08/24
33
2010/09/07
Prepare a "hit-list" for bite-sized tasks for other developers to taken on
TABLED
Umesh Madan
2010/10/26
36
2010/09/14
Review Container proposals from John Theisen & Chris Lomonico
Open
Umesh Madan
2010/09/28
37
2010/09/14
Take on the improvements for the CERT Resolver
Open
Chris Lomonico
2010/09/28
40
2010/09/14
Assemble a proposal to address the IHE v. HL7 audit considerations
Extended
Pat Pyette
2010/10/26
48
2010/10/19
Hold Greg Meyer's suggested off-line discussion around documentation for the Config
Open
Greg Meyer, Pat Pyette, Tim Houlding
2010/10/26
49
2010/10/19
Write up description of how to link/route domains to incorporate GoDaddy
TABLED
Umesh Madan
2010/10/21
50
2010/10/19

Publish HISP-focused approach to Direct Project October Face-to-Face Meeting

CLOSED
Arien Malec
2010/10/26

Agenda

  1. October Code-a-thon Wrap-up
  2. Java Update
  3. CSharp Update
  4. Open Discussion


October Code-a-thon Wrap-up

Brian Behlendorf


CSharp Update

Chris Lomonico

  • Reported that he was making progress on the Config store component

Arien Malec

  • Commented that Vassil Peytchev has been checking stuff in on XDS metadata side
  • Indicated that Arien Malec has a working edition of the XDM
  • Recognized that the CSharp team is not making nearly as much progress as the Java team

Vassil Peytchev

  • Suggested they need to do some clean-up with his and George Cole's code checked in

Arien Malec

  • Responded that Vassil Peytchev's work seems pretty configurable
    • Can talk about this off-line

Brian Behlendorf

  • Asked if there is any way to get something to call a 1.0 release of CSharp

Arien Malec

  • Responded that it is so slow on the XDR side that it tough to say

Brian Behlendorf

  • Asked: Any Implementation Geographies interested in a .NET implementation of XD*?

Arien Malec

  • Responded that he will ask during the Implementation Geographies WG call

Umesh Madan

  • Indicated that he had joined the call a later but was present
  • Reported on outcomes from Code-a-thon
    • Learned a few things
    • Good news: Chris Moyer and Umesh Madan completed their interoperability tests
    • Checked in some minor updates
  • Highlighted a missing piece: a web-based Config/UI on top of the existing command line stuff
    • Command line stuff is good for scripting, but not as usable
    • Solicited volunteers to help out with the Config/UI
  • Added that HealthVault is doing their interoperability tests
  • Asked if Chris Lomonico was on the call

Chris Lomonico

  • Responded that he was present
  • Reasserted that he was handling the Config store to hold all the DNS MX/CERTs
    • Plans to have this done by mid-next week

Teresa Black

  • Introduced herself on behalf of Alere
  • Asked what the opportunity was

Arien Malec

  • Responded that the Java team has a really nice web-based Config/UI
    • CSharp has the command line stuff, but is lacking such a component

Umesh Madan

  • Added that this would also upload CERTs, etc.
  • Stated that command line work took Umesh Madan a couple of days to handle
    • For the Config/UI many of the pieces are in place, just has not been touched
    • Working with standard building blocks - does not need to be too fancy
    • Just need a volunteer to assist

Brian Behlendorf

  • Asked what is left before they can put the 1.0 label on the CSharp reference implementation

Umesh Madan

  • Responded primarily what lacks is the Config/UI
    • DNS is handy
  • Indicated that most of these open questions will arise when they get feedback from people
    • They have closed all their open issues from the tracker on the CSharp Reference Implementation page

Greg Meyer

  • Stated that he has been looking at the Maven central repository
    • Getting really close to the 1.0 release

Arien Malec

  • Asserted that aside the Config/UI, the SMTP-Agent HISP model for CSharp is getting close to the 1.0 release as well

Umesh Madan

  • Indicated that he will update the Wiki page by tomorrow's phone call
  • Added that he wants to talk to John Theisen about the setup/MSI stuff
    • John has a single MSI that should be able to install in the entire gateway
    • Gets built in part of the initial build
    • For those of who have spare boxes, they should be able to run this


Java Update

Brian Behlendorf

  • Asked Greg Meyer or Beau Grantham to provide a WG update

Beau Grantham

  • Indicated that the Code-a-thon went really well
  • Stated that the Java side discovered it was lacking some documentation for the agent-HISP
    • Spent a lot of time fixing that
  • Reported that they tried to get a bare metal system at the Code-a-thon
    • Fred Trotter and Mirth Corporation helped out with this
      • Come up with a list of tests
    • Goal was to take a tarball and include James and Jetty
      • Beau Grantham has been able to stand up an EC2 instance

Arien Malec

  • Agreed that they should try to get a standard set of test cases across the board

Greg Meyer

  • Asked about using a Maven plug-in for all of it
    • They would assemble the final tarball
      • Point: Could go through the last steps if the tarball had been installed
      • Developers would not have to start from scratch

Arien Malec

  • Suggested there will be two types of people
    • First type: "Just give me the HISP"
    • Second type: "Yes I want all of the code, but I really want to get up and running"

Beau Grantham

Greg Meyer

  • Suggested they look at what they are gearing up for the 1.0 release
    • Will discuss at the Java Reference Implementation team meeting
  • Asked: How will they submit things to the central service repository?
    • Working with a service provider
  • Suggested that a set of guidelines need to be set-up for all the different projects with the central repository
    • Dependencies should only be within the main repositories, not other repositories
    • Every project now has a snapshot in the main repository
      • This way, for those who are doing their own, you can pull down the snapshot instead of Mercurial
  • Reemphasized that the coming Thursday's Java Meeting purpose is to prepare for the 1.0 release
    • Goal for the 1.0 release = next week
  • Indicated that he is looking to do some artifact changes for the agent and the client
    • Trying to align the naming conventions
      • Not against the rules, but there are better ways to go
    • Aims for no code/interface/package changes

Beau Grantham

  • Added that Mark Bamberg will continue to help with install scripts
    • Some things are still hard-coded in there, but will be cleaned up

Greg Meyer

  • Asked if they may want to keep pulling small bits from the cache
    • Will be pulling all of those down from central

Beau Grantham

  • Clarified that in the next instance they will not likely have that in the cache

Arien Malec

  • Indicated that they will most likely want to pull-in the jars

Greg Meyer

  • Responded that most Java implementations use the palms already
    • If one is doing eclipse from palm, then it will download all the Javadocs as well

Beau Grantham

  • Added that he is trying to clean-up the James configuration
    • Going behind the scenes to do the Telnet updates
    • Will talk to Pat Pyette and Tim Jeffcoat about that

Greg Meyer

  • Added that it would be nice to tool those in through the front-end of the UI

Beau Grantham

  • Stated that is all he had to report


Open Discussion

Brian Behlendorf

  • Raised the GoDaddy.com problem

Arien Malec

  • Responded that the configuration problems need to be addressed
  • Issue #1: Small practice problem
    • DNS allows a sub-domain to have a NS record
    • Typical HISP wants to be able do routing, the CERT records, and make all things work
    • Want to be able to say: Do X and everything will work
      • Easiest way: Assign the NS records for your sub-domains to you HISP
      • Does not work best with GoDaddy.com
    • Option #1: List all of the records in a registry and using a different Web Hosting service
      • Such as suggesting they switch from GoDaddy.com to something like 1and1.com
    • Option #2: Changing around the code to work with GoDaddy.com
    • Option #3: Elegant path not yet discovered
    • Goal: Instructions for how to exactly set-up
  • Issue #2: Large Institutions
    • How do you configure DNS for a large healthcare institution (ex. the VA) that manages its own DNS
      • Could assign all the NS records themselves and also do all the pointing

Umesh Madan

  • Asked about the little guy for who this out of their control

John Moehrke

  • Asked for clarification if they were talking about DNS CERT issues
  • Asked if this would not raise concerns regarding anti-trust

Arien Malec

  • Commented that regardless, they need to have recommendations for small practices as well as large institutions
    • Guide for I want to use a HISP and use DNS, how do I do it?
    • Guide for I want to be my own HISP and use DNS, how do I do it?

Brian Behlendorf

  • Stated that he is generally not in favor of supporting conventions that are not as implementable with multiple vendors

Arien Malec

  • Added that a special purpose domain just seems not as favorable

John Moehrke

  • Commented that is not a good way to raise the social trust

Arien Malec

  • Agreed with John Moehrke
    • Did not want to spend too much more time on this
  • Summarized that tomorrow the CSharp team will put together the plan for 1.0 release for parts 1 and part 2

Beau Grantham

  • Added that the Java team will be doing that on Thursday, but very close

Arien Malec

  • Stressed that the WG needs to complete remaining items
    • Then move toward supporting the implementation geographies' pilot implementations


October Code-a-thon Wrap-up

Brian Behlendorf


CSharp Update

Chris Lomonico

  • Reported that he was making progress on the Config store component

Arien Malec

  • Commented that Vassil Peytchev has been checking stuff in on XDS metadata side
  • Indicated that Arien Malec has a working edition of the XDM
  • Recognized that the CSharp team is not making nearly as much progress as the Java team

Vassil Peytchev

  • Suggested they need to do some clean-up with his and George Cole's code checked in

Arien Malec

  • Responded that Vassil Peytchev's work seems pretty configurable
    • Can talk about this off-line

Brian Behlendorf

  • Asked if there is any way to get something to call a 1.0 release of CSharp

Arien Malec

  • Responded that it is so slow on the XDR side that it tough to say

Brian Behlendorf

  • Asked: Any Implementation Geographies interested in a .NET implementation of XD*?

Arien Malec

  • Responded that he will ask during the Implementation Geographies WG call

Umesh Madan

  • Indicated that he had joined the call a later but was present
  • Reported on outcomes from Code-a-thon
    • Learned a few things
    • Good news: Chris Moyer and Umesh Madan completed their interoperability tests
    • Checked in some minor updates
  • Highlighted a missing piece: a web-based Config/UI on top of the existing command line stuff
    • Command line stuff is good for scripting, but not as usable
    • Solicited volunteers to help out with the Config/UI
  • Added that HealthVault is doing their interoperability tests
  • Asked if Chris Lomonico was on the call

Chris Lomonico

  • Responded that he was present
  • Reasserted that he was handling the Config store to hold all the DNS MX/CERTs
    • Plans to have this done by mid-next week

Teresa Black

  • Introduced herself on behalf of Alere
  • Asked what the opportunity was

Arien Malec

  • Responded that the Java team has a really nice web-based Config/UI
    • CSharp has the command line stuff, but is lacking such a component

Umesh Madan

  • Added that this would also upload CERTs, etc.
  • Stated that command line work took Umesh Madan a couple of days to handle
    • For the Config/UI many of the pieces are in place, just has not been touched
    • Working with standard building blocks - does not need to be too fancy
    • Just need a volunteer to assist

Brian Behlendorf

  • Asked what is left before they can put the 1.0 label on the CSharp reference implementation

Umesh Madan

  • Responded primarily what lacks is the Config/UI
    • DNS is handy
  • Indicated that most of these open questions will arise when they get feedback from people
    • They have closed all their open issues from the tracker on the CSharp Reference Implementation page

Greg Meyer

  • Stated that he has been looking at the Maven central repository
    • Getting really close to the 1.0 release

Arien Malec

  • Asserted that aside the Config/UI, the SMTP-Agent HISP model for CSharp is getting close to the 1.0 release as well

Umesh Madan

  • Indicated that he will update the Wiki page by tomorrow's phone call
  • Added that he wants to talk to John Theisen about the setup/MSI stuff
    • John has a single MSI that should be able to install in the entire gateway
    • Gets built in part of the initial build
    • For those of who have spare boxes, they should be able to run this


Java Update

Brian Behlendorf

  • Asked Greg Meyer or Beau Grantham to provide a WG update

Beau Grantham

  • Indicated that the Code-a-thon went really well
  • Stated that the Java side discovered it was lacking some documentation for the agent-HISP
    • Spent a lot of time fixing that
  • Reported that they tried to get a bare metal system at the Code-a-thon
    • Fred Trotter and Mirth Corporation helped out with this
      • Come up with a list of tests
    • Goal was to take a tarball and include James and Jetty
      • Beau Grantham has been able to stand up an EC2 instance

Arien Malec

  • Agreed that they should try to get a standard set of test cases across the board

Greg Meyer

  • Asked about using a Maven plug-in for all of it
    • They would assemble the final tarball
      • Point: Could go through the last steps if the tarball had been installed
      • Developers would not have to start from scratch

Arien Malec

  • Suggested there will be two types of people
    • First type: "Just give me the HISP"
    • Second type: "Yes I want all of the code, but I really want to get up and running"

Beau Grantham

Greg Meyer

  • Suggested they look at what they are gearing up for the 1.0 release
    • Will discuss at the Java Reference Implementation team meeting
  • Asked: How will they submit things to the central service repository?
    • Working with a service provider
  • Suggested that a set of guidelines need to be set-up for all the different projects with the central repository
    • Dependencies should only be within the main repositories, not other repositories
    • Every project now has a snapshot in the main repository
      • This way, for those who are doing their own, you can pull down the snapshot instead of Mercurial
  • Reemphasized that the coming Thursday's Java Meeting purpose is to prepare for the 1.0 release
    • Goal for the 1.0 release = next week
  • Indicated that he is looking to do some artifact changes for the agent and the client
    • Trying to align the naming conventions
      • Not against the rules, but there are better ways to go
    • Aims for no code/interface/package changes

Beau Grantham

  • Added that Mark Bamberg will continue to help with install scripts
    • Somethings are still hard-coded in there, but will be cleaned up

Greg Meyer

  • Asked if they may want to keep pulling small bits from the cache
    • Will be pulling all of those down from central

Beau Grantham

  • Clarified that in the next instance they will not likely have that in the cache

Arien Malec

  • Indicated that they will most likely want to pull-in the jars

Greg Meyer

  • Responded that most Java implementations use the palms already
    • If one is doing eclipse from palm, then it will download all the Javadocs as well

Beau Grantham

  • Added that he is trying to clean-up the James configuration
    • Going behind the scenes to do the Telnet updates
    • Will talk to Pat Pyette and Tim Jeffcoat about that

Greg Meyer

  • Added that it would be nice to tool those in through the front-end of the UI

Beau Grantham

  • Stated that is all he had to report


Open Discussion

Brian Behlendorf

  • Raised the GoDaddy.com problem

Arien Malec

  • Responded that the configuration problems need to be addressed
  • Issue #1: Small practice problem
    • DNS allows a sub-domain to have a NS record
    • Typical HISP wants to be able do routing, the CERT records, and make all things work
    • Want to be able to say: Do X and everything will work
      • Easiest way: Assign the NS records for your sub-domains to you HISP
      • Does not work best with GoDaddy.com
    • Option #1: List all of the records in a registry
      • Suggest they switch from GoDaddy.com to OnetoOne
    • Option #2: Changing around the code to work with GoDaddy.com
    • Option #3: Elegant path not yet discovered
    • Goal: Instructions for how to exactly set-up
  • Issue #2: Large Institutions
    • How do you configure DNS for a large healthcare institution (ex. the VA) that manages its own DNS
      • Could assign all the NS records themselves and also do all the pointing

Umesh Madan

  • Asked about the little guy for who this out of their control

John Moehrke

  • Asked for clarification if they were talking about DNS CERT issues
  • Asked if this would not raise concerns regarding anti-trust

Arien Malec

  • Commented that regardless, they need to have recommendations for small practices as well as large institutions
    • Guide for I want to use a HISP and use DNS, how do I do it?
    • Guide for I want to be my own HISP and use DNS, how do I do it?

Brian Behlendorf

  • Stated that he is generally not in favor of supporting conventions that are not as implementable with multiple vendors

Arien Malec

  • Added that a special purpose domain just seems not as favorable

John Moehrke

  • Commented that is not a good way to raise the social trust

Arien Malec

  • Agreed with John Moehrke
    • Did not want to spend too much more time on this
  • Summarized that tomorrow the CSharp team will put together the plan for 1.0 release for parts 1 and part 2

Beau Grantham

  • Added that the Java team will be doing that on Thursday, but very close

Arien Malec

  • Stressed that the WG needs to complete remaining items
    • Then move toward supporting the implementation geographies' pilot implementations